some feedback

Topics: Project Management Forum, User Forum
Aug 15, 2011 at 12:31 PM

I used SHFB on a project last year and loved using it. I read that you plan to integrate it into VS2010 in the future. I hope you will still allow SHFB to run it as a standalone program, as I usually work with the sln or subset of dll and xml doc files and prefer to work outside VS2010 IDE. (If there's a tech writer on the team, there's no need for that person to have VS2010 just to create CHM files.)

PS. I met with some PMs from Microsoft at an informal get-together (I live in Redmond) and I showed them some of SHFB's capabilites. I hope to "get the word out" in the next few weeks with friends of theirs who they suggested contacting because they should know about the nifty features. More later.

Aug 16, 2011 at 1:13 AM

The standalone version of SHFB will remain available and I'll continue supporting it.  It just won't have as many features as the VS package that are gained from VS integration such as source control support, multi-select operations in the project explorer, etc.

Aug 29, 2011 at 5:21 PM

This is good. Since Sandcastle itself uses so much memory, and Visual Studio 2010 uses so much memory, I wonder if we will be able to use that combination at all.

Aug 29, 2011 at 10:06 PM

Frank, good point. I build help projects and do personal VS2010 work on a Win7 2MB pc that originally had XP (slow processor). "high usage" popup indicator *always* comes on when I build a SHFB project. Running SHFB as a standalone application where I can tweak project properties then build a CHM is my optimal use case.