How to include but not rebuild documentation for specific referenced assemblies?

Topics: User Forum
Jul 29, 2011 at 7:51 PM

We use CSLA.net with some our framework classes.  I would like to include the CSLA documentation in with our own documentation.   However, when I am going through the iterative documentation development phase, the CSLA portion is not going to change at all.   I know I can just exclude it from the build by removing the refernce to its .xml file, but I was hoping there was a way I could keep it included but not slow down the build process by having to rebuild it every time.

Thoughts?

Coordinator
Aug 2, 2011 at 8:13 PM

Sandcastle doesn't support the concept of an incremental build or one where you can merge the results of a prior or separate build into the current one so that isn't possible.  If building Help 2 or MS Help Viewer files, you can build the CSLA.net help as a separate file and use the Additional Reference Links plug-in to add references to the CSLA.net members to the other help file.  They'll work when merged into the collection with the other help file.  For Help 1, I think there may be tools that allow merging of CHM files so something similar may be possible with them too.  There is no such option for website output though.

Eric

Aug 2, 2011 at 8:14 PM

Thank you for the detailed response!