path problem with MRefBuilder.exe

Topics: User Forum
Nov 30, 2006 at 9:37 PM
Hi, I get this error when attempting to generate the help docs:

Generating reflection information...
C:\junk\testHelpOutput\Working\GenerateRefInfo.bat
MrefBuilder (v2.2.2505.29190)
Copyright c Microsoft 2006
Error: An error occured while attempting to read the configuration file 'MRefBuilder.config'. The error message is: Could not find file 'C:\MRefBuilder.config'.

I’m not sure why it’s looking for the config file in the root. It does exist in \Help\Working but there seems to be some path issue that’s preventing it from being located. I’ve installed Sandcastle and built the docs successfully using SandcastleGUI, although I’d like to get SHFB working.

thanks,
steph.
Coordinator
Dec 1, 2006 at 3:10 AM
I haven't seen that problem reported before. You might try uninstalling both Sandcastle and the help file builder and deleting the folders if they still exist afterwards to make sure there's nothing hanging around that might be messing them up. Reinstall them both and try again. If the problem persists and you can reproduce it with a small demo example, please send me a copy and I'll take a look at it. Be sure to include the .\Working folder with the temporary files. Thanks.

Eric
Jan 28, 2007 at 2:20 AM
I'm getting the same problem. I uninstalled Sandcastle and the Help File Builder + Patch, reinstalled, rebooted, etc.

The path it says it is looking for the MRefBuilder.config file is incorrect in my system. For me it is located under
C:\Program Files\Sandcastle\ProductionTools

What do I need to do for this to work?, this is my output:

Sandcastle Help File Builder GUI, version 1.3.3.1
Creating output and working folders...
Clearing working folder...
Finding tools...
Found Sandcastle in 'C:\Program Files\Sandcastle\'
Found HTML 1.x help compiler in 'C:\Program Files\HTML Help Workshop\'
Validating documentation assembly information...
-------------------------------
Creating Sandcastle configuration file...
Generating shared content files (en-US)...
\\Deedee\Inetpub\wwwroot\CHC\WebSite\Help\Working\GenerateRefInfo.bat
'\\Deedee\Inetpub\wwwroot\CHC\WebSite\Help\Working'
CMD.EXE was started with the above path as the current directory.
UNC paths are not supported. Defaulting to Windows directory.
MrefBuilder (v2.2.61208.1447)
Error: An error occured while attempting to read the configuration file 'MRefBuilder.config'. The error message is: Could not find file 'C:\WINDOWS\MRefBuilder.config'.

BUILD FAILED: Unexpected error in last build step. See output above for details.
Coordinator
Jan 28, 2007 at 9:01 PM
As noted in the messages:

CMD.EXE was started with the above path as the current directory.
UNC paths are not supported. Defaulting to Windows directory.

Map a drive to that location or move the project to a hard drive. The next release will have a WorkingPath property that you can set to solve the issue too.

Eric
Feb 7, 2007 at 10:49 PM
Hi, I get this error when attempting to generate the help docs:

Sandcastle Help File Builder GUI, version 1.3.3.1
Creating output and working folders...
Clearing working folder...
Finding tools...
Found Sandcastle in 'C:\Program Files\Sandcastle\'
Found HTML 1.x help compiler in 'C:\Program Files\HTML Help Workshop\'
Validating documentation assembly information...
Creating Sandcastle configuration file...
Generating shared content files (en-US)...
D:\My Documents\JP Help\Help\Working\GenerateRefInfo.bat
MrefBuilder (v2.2.61208.1447)
Error: An error occured while attempting to read the configuration file 'MRefBuilder.config'. The error message is: Could not find file 'C:\MRefBuilder.config'.

BUILD FAILED: Unexpected error in last build step. See output above for details.

Why is it looking in C:\MRefBuilder.config when it allready copied the files to D:\My Documents\JP Help\Help\Working\ and is running the "GenerateRefInfo.bat" from that location?????

To make it work i have to change the template directory and alter all .bat files to refer to D:\My Documents\JP Help\Help\Working\ and that is not so smart if i do all that work I can run the tool from the command prompt as well.

Hope there is a logical explaination to this.
I allready tried to uninstall both sandcastle and sandcastle builder and reinstalled them rebooted my machine inbetween etc....

I have successfully generated the help file with sandcastlegui.exe but I don't like the limitation to enter all namespaces manually.....

Thanks!

Jean-Pierre
Coordinator
Feb 8, 2007 at 3:40 AM
With the exception of the problem reported by raigunn, I have been unable to reproduce this problem and so far, only the people in this thread have reported the problem. My only guess is that it's permission related and the OS is unable to change into the working folder when it starts the thread that runs the tool. You might try moving the folder out of the My Documents folder to another location to see if that helps. If you aren't running as administrator, you might try that too.

Eric
Feb 8, 2007 at 9:00 AM
Edited Feb 8, 2007 at 12:17 PM
If I choose to run the application under administrator account on local machine it runs perfectly.

But mostly I'm logged on to a domain and my domain account is added to the adminsistrators group on my local machine. it has been so for the last 8 years and so far I've never had any problem with any application.

If I choose to run the application while logged on my domain account under a different credential choosing to "Run As" and choose any user that have administrator rights it works as well.

so what rights am i missing...

One thing thought that could be helpfull is that if I go to ComponentConfigurations in "Sandcastle Help File Builder" choose "Code block Component" and push button "Configure" I get an error if I am logged in to my domain account stating the following :
unable to locate the 'ConfigureComponent' Method in component 'SandcastleBuilder.Components.CodeBlockComponent' in Assembly c:\Programfiles\EWSoftware\Sandcastle help file builder\SandcastleBuilder.components.dll

in all other cases no errors. So you are right about some permission error.
It will be helpfull if you can have a hint.

Any Bright Ideas ????

Many Thanks!

Ps. When it works it sure is a great application that makes life so much easier.
Coordinator
Feb 8, 2007 at 4:02 PM
I can do some testing to try and figure it out. What type of account and/or kind of permissions do you have (i.e. Power User, etc)?

Eric
Jul 23, 2007 at 8:12 PM
I was having the same type of problem. Then after reading these posts I realized that I had changed the default directory of the command prompt after the last time I had run SandCastle Builder.
I changed the registry key HKEYCURRENTUSER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Command Processor 'Autorun' value to an empty string (opening cmd will load C:\Windows\System32) and the problem was fixed for me.