Controlling interfaces

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Apr 14, 2008 at 1:15 PM
Hi,

We're using Sandcastle to document our API's. Is there any tool or extension to Sandcastle out there that will let you create a more traditional Interface Control Document?

The other kind of tool I am looking for is one that compares two versions of a set of Class library DLL's, looks at anything public, and shows me what the differences in the API are. This would help to determine if a newer version of a specific DLL is still compatible with older clients.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Friedrich Brunzema
Coordinator
Apr 14, 2008 at 5:03 PM
I'm not aware of anything that would create an interface control document. If it's just additional documentation, you could create HTML documentation and include it as additional content in the project.

Regarding the comparison tool, you could try the Version Builder plug-in supplied with SHFB. It lets you merge the documentation from two separate versions or products and produce a help file for both of them. Each API topic includes a "Versions" section that tells you in which version(s) of the assembly the method appears. If that doesn't quite do what you need, you might try posting the in Sandcastle forum or the MSDN Documentation Forum as you'll get a wider audience for the question.

Eric