Language of the Help file generated

Topics: User Forum
Apr 3, 2008 at 2:15 PM
Hi

I am using SandcastleBuilder Console to generate the chm file for my assemblies. So I am using the response file. But when the help file ultimately is created the language seems to be Spanish. How do I specify the language in the response file or any where else as English (US)?

Thanks
Karteek
Coordinator
Apr 3, 2008 at 3:55 PM
Edited Apr 3, 2008 at 3:55 PM
The language is controlled by the Language property in the project. The default is English. However, framework comments on the list pages are based on the framework comments files on your system. If you've only got Spanish language comments files, that is what will be used.

Eric
Apr 3, 2008 at 4:28 PM
Eric,

Thanks for the quick reply. But I am not aware how to set the Language property in the project. May I say that the xml comments I wrote they are being displayed in English. But those of the .Net comments are being displayed in spanish. Could you suggest me how I Can change that?

Thanks
Karteek

EWoodruff wrote:
The language is controlled by the Language property in the project. The default is English. However, framework comments on the list pages are based on the framework comments files on your system. If you've only got Spanish language comments files, that is what will be used.

Eric

Coordinator
Apr 3, 2008 at 7:25 PM
Edited Apr 3, 2008 at 7:25 PM
There's a Language property in the project. You just select the language that you want. To set it from the command line, you'd do something like "-Language=en-US". If you don't set it, English is the default. However, as I said, if you are using a Spanish version of the .NET Framework, the comments will be in Spanish no matter which language you pick. Look at the XML comments files in the C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v.2.0.50727 folder. Are they in Spanish? If so, that's why they are in Spanish in your help file. If you have an "en" folder under it, it should contain the English language comments.

To get the English .NET Framework comments files, you'd have to install an English version of the .NET Framework or VS2008 (VS2008 appears to create the language specific "en" folder I mentioned above). The current version of SHFB doesn't differentiate between language-specific framework comments though. In the next release, it will look for a language-specific folder (i.e "en-US" or "en" for English under the default framework comments location) and, if it finds them, it will use them. For now, if you can get the English comments files you'd have to overwrite the existing Spanish ones.

Eric
Apr 3, 2008 at 8:00 PM
Eric,

Thanks for your patience and detailed explanation. I looked at the said folder and all the XML documents are in English.

Thanks
Karteek
Coordinator
Apr 3, 2008 at 8:14 PM
You can set the CleanIntermediates property to False and take a look at the sandcastle.config file after the build to see where its getting the comments from. Look for the component with the comment "Copy in comments" preceeding it. You should see the paths to the framework comments files and your comments files. Just for the heck of it, check the ResolveReferenceLinksComponent2 component as well to make sure that the locale attribute is set to "en-US" too. Other than that, I'm out of ideas.

Eric