Look n' Feel vs. NDoc

Topics: User Forum
Nov 22, 2006 at 4:36 AM
Hey everyone,

I just decided to try out Sandcastle (along with this great GUI) after using NDoc for about a year. The documentation that is produced is quite a bit different looking.

In particular, it looks like all of my text has been bolded (and doesn't look like what NDoc produced). All of the class names, namespace names, etc. are in a bold blue font. Is this normal, or do I have something set up wrong?

If so, is there a way to change it? CSS file or something?

I'm doing the 1x with website option.

Great project! I really like it.

Nov 22, 2006 at 7:02 PM
The default style sheet leaves a little to be desired. If you download the code for the help file builder, you'll find a tweaked stylesheet that reduces the font size, turns off the bolding, and has a few other modifications that makes it look better. For an example, open the help file for the help file builder. You can either modify the Sandcastle stylesheet directly or you can include a modified or your own custom style sheet as additional content. The latter is how the help file builder replaces it.

Nov 24, 2006 at 2:21 AM
That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks. I definitely like the look of the SHFB documentation better than the default Sandcastle November CTP look.

Nov 24, 2006 at 3:16 AM
That worked great and got rid of the bold and large text for everything except the Namespace pages. Turns out that not all of the formatting is in the styesheet. (d'oh!)

You can get rid of the bold classnames on the Namespace pages if you go into the
C:\Program Files\Sandcastle\Presentation\Prototype\Transforms\main_sandcastle.xsl
file and go to the very bottom.

You'll see a line like:
<b><referenceLink target="{$id}" qualified="{$qualified}" /></b>
Just get rid of the <b> and </b> tags around this.

Hope that helps someone...
May 4, 2007 at 3:01 PM
I'm working with The tabs and checkboxes that control the Syntax and Members sections in classes are fantastic!!! ... but ... just about everything else in the prototype style is worse than the vs2005 style. Things are still in namespaces, types and members are still in blue bold, long namespaces and members get cut off in tables, etc, font sizes are too big, etc.

Too bad a hybrid vs2005 style can't be created that preserves everything it has and simply adds the tabs and checkboxes for controlling the Syntax and Members sections ...
May 4, 2007 at 3:06 PM
Anand has mentioned that the next CTP due out in a few weeks should contain such a hybrid style. Apparently it's the one they are using for Orcas. I haven't seen any examples but from what was mentioned, it combines the TOC layout from the VS2005 style and some of the stuff from the Prototype style.

May 10, 2007 at 12:38 AM
On look and feel, do you have any plan to make the <code> tag header looks similar to those of the MSDN? Also, with text like "Copy code" instead of the "Copy" will ensure some consistency.

Best regards,
May 10, 2007 at 3:04 AM
The styles are controlled through a stylesheet and you can replace them with something else either by editing the default file or using the configuration options to supply a different one. The title style is controlled with the highlight-title entry. Regarding "Copy Code", I did have it that way at first but I've got several blocks that contain stuff that isn't code so I opted for the more generic "Copy" instead. I suppose I could make it a configurable option too. The image is already but I didn't think about making the text an option.

May 11, 2007 at 12:54 AM
It makes a lot of sense. I suggest you consider this option too; if the use specifies the "lang", it means (except with "none")
there is a real code and "Copy Code". Otherwise, it remains "Copy".

Best regards,