codeEntityReference and Class Properties, Methods

Topics: Developer Forum
Dec 14, 2010 at 8:19 PM

I've created an .aml file for conceptual content that is being incorporated into the the documentation for a .NET component. I can easily use the codeEntityReference element to link to topics, however; I cannot determine what the reference value would be for either the Methods or Properties topic of a class. It's not listed when I search the Entity References and of course it's not in the XML file generated when compiling my .NET component.

Is there a standard addressing convention for these topic links (generated automatically through Sandcastle) or any way to figure out what they are?

Dec 15, 2010 at 1:43 AM

You can identify the page ID by looking at the HTML source for the topic.  With that, you should be able to use a link element or, if that doesn't work, an externalLink element to link to the page.

Dec 20, 2010 at 4:31 PM

I tried using the link element (<link xlink:href="071a3cec-f1af-9872-0bcb-8c67c227c314">User Class</link>) with inner text, but both the resulting HTML Help and web page only displays the text (User Class in this example) in bold. There is no link to the topic. Am I missing something here?

Dec 20, 2010 at 5:47 PM

I wasn't sure it would work so, as I said, use the externalLink instead.

Dec 21, 2010 at 4:40 PM

Is there something I need to configure for the ResolveConceptualLinksComponent component? I see a reference to this in the help, and I've downloaded a copy, but can't figure out how to configure it for use with Sandcastle (if necessary).

Dec 21, 2010 at 7:17 PM

You don't need anything special.  SHFB's already set up to use it.  It doesn't come into play for externalLink anyway.

Dec 22, 2010 at 1:54 PM

The externalLink element does work for web page documents but from what I can tell I don't think it will work for linking within an HTML Help file. In any event, I'll work around the issue if there isn't a solution. Thanks for your help Eric.

Dec 22, 2010 at 3:00 PM

The URL specified in an externalLink doesn't have to be fully qualified and can be a relative path within the help file so you can open any page within it as long as you have the path to it and the page name.