Modifying the Help files created by the sandcastle

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Nov 18, 2010 at 9:09 PM

I have been using sandcastle for generating the help web site for my application. No need to say that it is a wonderful application. I am creating the documentation programatically with Shfb with customization. I have a problem here. I want to insert a script which will highlight the searched keyword in the document opened from the seach results. I was able to achieve this for the html generated out of topic files by modifying the prototype.xsl. I want to do the same for the help files generated out of the dll. However i checked all the available resources in the sandcastle application folder to see if there are any xsl files involved in the creation of the help files, but i couldn't find one.

I need to insert the script under the following section in the "Body" tag of the help html.

<div id="footer" />

Can anyone provide me some pointers on this? Thanks in Advance.

I am using SHFB GUI and the helpfile format is "Website".

Nov 19, 2010 at 1:34 AM

If you want to do it on a per-project basis, you could add a Resource Items file to the project and add your script to the "footer" element.  That should work.  If you want to do it globally, you can change the Sandcastle XSL transformations to output your script.  You'll have to search the transformations for the point where it renders the footer and modify it as needed.  You'll find them in the %ProgramFiles%\Sandcastle\Presenations folder.  Each presenation style has its own sub-folder so modify the ones you need.