Problems with Path

Topics: Developer Forum
Nov 3, 2010 at 3:52 PM

Firt of all sorry for my awful english :), I've a project where the .xml files are in a separate path of the bin\debug folder, because I want to separate binaries from documentation.When I use this great tool generates an error because the application not found the xml files, so how can i tell where the XML files are?

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance,

Javier P. de Jorge
Buenos Aires

Nov 3, 2010 at 7:02 PM
Edited Nov 3, 2010 at 7:04 PM

Did you add the comments files as documentation sources too?  If so, it should find them as long as the path on the documentation source entry is correct.  If you have the option, you can add the Visual Studio solution or project file as the documentation source and SHFB will figure out where the assemblies and comments files are located by examining it.

Nov 4, 2010 at 1:54 PM

Thanks for your quickly answer, the project has OK the comments, the problem occurs because in the VS Project I put to generate the xml files in “c:\ProjectXMLFiles\” and the source are in “c:\ProjectSource\”, when compiles the xml files are copied in “c:\ ProjectXMLFiles\” and in the “c:\ProjectSource\Bin\Debug\”,so I put a Post Build Event to delete the file in the “Bin\Debug”, because I don’t want the xml files there, only in “c:\ ProjectXMLFiles\”, when I do this the program generates error because don’t find the XML file.

If I don’t use the post build event to delete the file in the Bin\Debug the programs works OK but I’ve two XML files and I don’t want that, so, Is understood my problem? What I’ve to do to solve it?

Thanks in advance again!!!!

Javier P. de Jorge

Nov 9, 2010 at 3:22 PM

If you're using the Visual Studio project as the documentation source and you've set the Visual Studio project option to output the XML comments file to a location of your choice, I don't see how it's not finding the file.  Perhaps you can send me a small example that demonstrates what you are doing.  My e-mail address is in the About box in the GUI and in the footer of the pages in the help file.