BUILD FAILED: Could not find path to Sandcastle tools

Topics: User Forum
Mar 1, 2008 at 5:46 PM
I have an SHFB build that works fine on my local machine. Now I'm folding it in with the integrated build on our build machine, and it's not working:

Sandcastle Help File Builder Console, version
Build started at 3/1/2008 10:29:22 AM

Finding tools...
Last step completed in 00:00:00.0000

BUILD FAILED: Could not find path to Sandcastle tools

I get a successful build on the build machine using the GUI builder, as well as running interactively from the command line. But when it tries to run from the NAnt build, I get the above error. I can run it successfully from NAnt on my local machine.

The one variable that I can think of at the moment that might play a part is, the build integrator is probably running under a different login.

It would be helpful if SHFB would echo where it's attempting to look for the Sandcastle tools.

Any suggestions where to proceed with this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mar 1, 2008 at 7:07 PM
Edited Mar 1, 2008 at 7:08 PM
First and foremost, the SandcastlePath project property takes precedence. If something is specified in it, that will always be used. So, if it can't find it automatically, you can always tell it where to find it. If not specified, there are a fixed set of places it looks. First it checks the DXROOT environment variable. If it can find that or it doesn't contain "Sandcastle", it checks the PATH environment variable for a path containing "Sandcastle". If that fails, it searches the "\Program Files" folder for a "Sandcastle" folder on all fixed drives. If that fails, it tries to look for VS SDK folders that might contain a copy. If that fails, then it gives up.