MSDN URL Links not appearing

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Oct 14, 2010 at 7:47 AM

Hello,

I am able to successfully create chm document for the APIs that we are implementing. I am using Windows 7.
But there seems to be a issue with resolving MSDN links.

I used Component Configuration property in Help File Builder and added Cached MSDN URL References

Info: CachedResolveReferenceLinksComponent: Instantiating component.
  Info: CachedResolveReferenceLinksComponent: Creating MSDN URL resolver.
  Info: CachedResolveReferenceLinksComponent: Searching directory 'C:\Program Files\Sandcastle\Data\Reflection' for targets files of the form '*.xml'.
  Info: CachedResolveReferenceLinksComponent: Searching directory 'C:\Official\PaintingPowerPac\Help\Working' for targets files of the form 'reflection.xml'.
  Info: CachedResolveReferenceLinksComponent: Loaded 202897 reference targets.
  Info: CachedResolveReferenceLinksComponent:
      [Sandcastle Help File Builder BuildAssembler Components, version 1.9.1.0]
      Cached Resolve Reference  Links 2 Component.  Copyright c 2006-2010, Eric Woodruff, All Rights Reserved
      http://SHFB.CodePlex.com
  Info: CachedResolveReferenceLinksComponent: Loaded 7 cached MSDN URL entries

I see that 7 cached MSDN URL entries are loaded, and 202897 reference targets loaded

I see in the log file the following warning 
Warn: CachedResolveReferenceLinksComponent: MSDN URL not found for target 'T:System.SerializableAttribute'.

But i do not see any warnings for T:System.Collections.ArrayList or Int32 or String.

And the msdn link for String does not appear as shown below.

Syntax

C#  

public static void AddLog(
string message
)

Parameters
The output log finally says

Info: CachedResolveReferenceLinksComponent: MSDN URL cache updated. Saving new information to C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\EWSoftware\Sandcastle Help File Builder\Cache\MsdnUrl.cache

Info: CachedResolveReferenceLinksComponent: New cache size: 8 entries

Compile time: 0 minutes, 1 second

111	Topics

1,212	Local links

0	Internet links

0	Graphics

Internet Links are 0 

I have set all the SDK Link types to MSDN as well. 

What would be the cause for links not appearing ? 

Coordinator
Oct 15, 2010 at 2:43 AM

As long as you've set the SDK link type properties to MSDN it should be working.  Have you checked the log file to see if there are any warnings about it failing to initialize the MSDN web service.  Have you removed the cached build components from the ComponentConfigurations project property to see if they are somehow causing the issue.  7 or 8 cached links isn't many for the average project (my cache has 2298 cached links).  If it works once you remove the cached build components, try deleting the cache files so that they are recreated.  See this topic for info on finding and deleting the cache files.

Eric