unresolved assembly reference

Sep 7, 2010 at 2:46 PM

Hi guys,

When trying to build the documenation for a solution I get an unresolved assembly error:

Info: Loaded 25 assemblies for reflection and 57 dependency assemblies.
MREFBUILDER : error : Unresolved assembly reference: System.Web (System.Web, Version=1.0.3300.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a) required by Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls

When I had similar errors before I simply added the assembly that could not be resolved as a reference to the help file builder project which fixed the problem.

However that is not possible this time because Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls seems to Reference an old version of System.Web which is simply not available. The problem is that I obviosly can't fix the reference since its in an external assembly nor can I add a reference to the needed dll since it does not exist.

Is there a way to simply suppress the error so the rest of the documenation can be built?

Thanks in advance for you help.

Martin

Coordinator
Sep 7, 2010 at 8:15 PM

You can add the Assembly Binding Redirection plug-in to the PlugInConfigurations project property.  You can configure it to redirect all references to the 1.0 System.Web assembly to the version for the .NET release you are using.  See the plug-in help topic for more information.

Eric

Sep 9, 2010 at 10:27 AM

This seems like a very good solution to me. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work.

I've tried two different things:

1. Redirect to the version the same project uses that also references to the assembly that requires the System.Web assembly (Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls)

2. Redirect to the version of an assembly I added a reference to in the shfbproj file.

Here's the output (of the latter):

Info: System.Web, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a, Version(s) 1.0.3300.0 redirect to Version 4.0.30319.1
  Info: Loaded 25 assemblies for reflection and 57 dependency assemblies.
MREFBUILDER : error : Unresolved assembly reference: System.Web (System.Web, Version=1.0.3300.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a) required by Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls
Although the redirect does seem to be performed I still get the same error.

Am I doing something wrong?

P.S.: I'm really impressed both by the Help File Builder itself and the support for it. Is there any way to make a donation to you guys?

Coordinator
Sep 9, 2010 at 8:29 PM

The redirect information looks correct so I'm not sure why it would still be failing to find it.  Can you create a small test case that duplicates the problem?  If so, you can e-mail it to me and I'll take a look at it to see if I can figure it out.  My e-mail address is in the About box in the GUI and in the footer of the pages in the help file.

I'm glad you find the help file builder useful.  Regarding making a donation, information on doing so can be found here.  Thanks.

Eric

Sep 10, 2010 at 7:00 PM
EWoodruff wrote:

Can you create a small test case that duplicates the problem?

I've tried to but I have not been successful so far.

I thought the unresolved reference error was due to a broken reference in the Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll but when I add a reference to the same assembly in a small test project the documentation is built without errors. Any ideas what else the unresolved reference error could be caused by?

Coordinator
Sep 14, 2010 at 8:07 PM

Sorry, I don't have any other ideas about why it might be failing.

Eric

Aug 8, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Hi EWoodruff,

I have the same problem than Martin_KP with assembly binding redirection, same log:

Adding binding redirections to assembly resolver configuration:
    System.Web.Extensions, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35, Version(s) 1.0.0.0-1.1.0.0 redirect to Version 3.5.0.0
    System.Web.Extensions.Design, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35, Version(s) 1.0.0.0-1.1.0.0 redirect to Version 3.5.0.0
[c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\MSBuild.exe]
  MRefBuilder (v2.7.0.0)
  Copyright � 2006-2012, Microsoft Corporation, All Rights Reserved
  Info: Loaded assembly binding redirect: System.Web.Extensions, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35, Version(s) 1.0.0.0-1.1.0.0 redirect to Version 3.5.0.0
  Info: Loaded assembly binding redirect: System.Web.Extensions.Design, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35, Version(s) 1.0.0.0-1.1.0.0 redirect to Version 3.5.0.0
  Info: Loaded 1 assemblies for reflection and 0 dependency assemblies.
MREFBUILDER : error : Unresolved assembly reference: System.Web.Extensions (System.Web.Extensions, Version=1.0.61025.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35) required by Telerik.Web.UI [C:\Data\Docs XML\Help\Working\GenerateRefInfo.proj]
    Last step completed in 00:00:04.8935

Have you a solution today ?

Aug 8, 2012 at 5:37 PM

resolved,

i forget to add the new reference in sandcastle project