SandcastleBuilder.Components.ShowMissingComponent' was not found ....

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Jun 28, 2010 at 5:50 PM
Edited Jun 28, 2010 at 6:37 PM

I got this error:
BUILDASSEMBLER : error : BuildAssembler: The type 'SandcastleBuilder.Components.ShowMissingComponent' was not found in the component assembly 'C:\Program Files\EWSoftware\Sandcastle Help File Builder

I checked (vis Reflector);  it's there.

Uninstalled and reinstalled:

• Sandcastle (Version 2.6.1062.1)
  • Help File Builder ( Release)
  • VS 2008 SDK 1.1

Still getting error.

Note this warning in the log:

SHFB: Warning BE0004: MRefBuilder has a version of '2.6.10621.1' but version '2.4.10520.1' was expected. You may need to update your copy of the help file builder.

Any help will be appriciated.

Jun 28, 2010 at 7:12 PM

The current SHFB release is not compatible with the new version of Sandcastle.  I should have a release that is compatible with it out sometime this week.

Jun 28, 2010 at 10:54 PM

I don't know where this info ("current SHFB release is not compatible with the new version of Sandcastle") should have been posted, but, it's cost me about 4-5 hours of trying to figure what I have done wrong. (I went back to the previous version of Sandcastle and all is well.)

Sooo... to save others the same grief I've gone though, please an alert! on the home page here as to the above situation until you get the new version working.

Jun 28, 2010 at 11:36 PM

Thank goodness for this discussion - I was in the same boat trying to figure out what was going wrong. Definitely a good idea to post something up front warning people about this.

Jun 29, 2010 at 2:00 AM

Okay, it's done.  I had put a note on the downloads page but didn't consider current users of the existing version that already had it.  I really need to have it abort the build rather than issue a warning as it currently does.  Quite a while ago, it probably would have worked but with the dependency on the Sandcastle build components, it won't work until recompiled now.

Jun 29, 2010 at 2:22 PM

Thanks! And thanks for a great product!

Jun 29, 2010 at 2:27 PM

Curious: Is the reason you have to recompile due to a change in the strong name (e.g., the version number) on the Sandcastle components? Could it be fixed with a binding redirect in config?

Jun 29, 2010 at 3:11 PM

Most likely it could but you'd have to do it in a BuildAssembler.exe.config.  It's not something I'd want to do as part of the SHFB installation as then I'm messing with the Sandcastle installation.  Either way, changes in the build components and/or transformations could still break the SHFB components.  I've had to make quite a few changes this time around to properly support MSHV output.