Error BE0065 I know others had this problem but...

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Jun 16, 2010 at 9:37 PM

I have tried all of the other fixes for this and it still doesn't work . I don't know why it's even looking for those targets. I have found them in the Program Files x86 folder but they are in folders that don't even exist in the Program Files folder. Visual Studio doesn't even exist in that Microsft folder. PLease help. I am a tech writer whose boss has asked her to work with way too much code. I am at my wits end. Thanks.

Here is the code:

[Sandcastle Help File Builder Utilities, version]
Creating output and working folders...
Clearing working folder...
Finding tools...
Found Sandcastle tools in 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Sandcastle\'
Searching for HTML Help 1 compiler...
Found HTML Help 1 compiler in 'C:\Program Files (x86)\HTML Help Workshop\'
Validating and copying documentation source information
Source: C:\Users\sharonvail\Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\FormField Test\FormField Test.sln
    Found project 'C:\Users\sharonvail\Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\FormField Test\FormField Test\FormField Test.csproj'
    Last step completed in 00:00:00.0156

SHFB: Error BE0065: BUILD FAILED: The imported project "C:\Program Files\MSBuild\Microsoft\VisualStudio\v9.0\WebApplications\Microsoft.WebApplication.targets" was not found. Confirm that the path in the  declaration is correct, and that the file exists on disk.  C:\Users\sharonvail\Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\FormField Test\FormField Test\FormField Test.csproj

Jun 17, 2010 at 3:17 PM

You'll most likely find the indicated targets file in the C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft\VisualStudio\v9.0\WebApplications\ folder.  Create a similar set of folders under "Program Files" (no "x86") to match the path in the error message (C:\Program Files\MSBuild\Microsoft\VisualStudio\v9.0\WebApplications\).  Copy Microsoft.WebApplication.targets from the "x86" folder to the new folder and the build should work since it will find it where it is expecting it.

However, since it is looking for a web targets file, you may have other problems.  If this is a website project as opposed to a web application project, it may not find the output assembly and comments file because of the way they are built.  For website projects, you need to make use of the web code providers mentioned in this help topic (Documenting Web Projects).  Since that involves changes to how the website project is built, you will have to get a developer involved.

Jun 17, 2010 at 3:52 PM

Thank you so much for your help. I was following the Getting Started step by step and didn't even realize it was different for websites. I feel a bit foolish. Since I already feel that way let me ask. If we do make the changes to our site, what would you suggest we use to convert the XML file to produce a help file? Is there an easy to use tool for that?

Jun 17, 2010 at 4:58 PM

Nevermind. I am not awake this morning. I figured that whole thing out. Fixing the path did help. It's tough for us non-developers sometimes because a lot of doc assumes we know more than we do. My biggest issue was that I was trying to put the comments on the aspx pages not the cs pages. I don't recall reading that anywhere. Thanks again.