Including platform information in documentation

Topics: User Forum
Jun 8, 2010 at 2:33 PM
For my project (NLog - I have somewhat unusual documentation need:
NLog supports 9 different frameworks today: (.NET 2.0, 3.5, 4.0, Silverlight 2.0, 3.0, 4.0, .NET CF 2.0, 3.5 and Mono 2.x). I use conditional compilation to exclude elements not supported on certain plaftorm, but the resulting assemblies are very similar (but not identical - some public types/properties are not supported)
I was able to generate documentation for each of those plaforms just fine, but now my 9 help files take 18 MB, making publishing (and downloading) all of them unfeasible. I would like to generate a single CHM with unified documentation, which would be a superset of all types, and each type needs to be annotated with platforms on which it is supported.
I was digging through Sandcastle XSL transforms and apparently there is a built-in way to emit platform information, but I don't how to annotate my classes to indicate which frameworks are supported. Is this something that can be done in source or do I need to write a SHFB plugin?
Any suggestions are welcome.
Jun 8, 2010 at 3:21 PM

You need to use the Version Builder plug-in.  See the help topic for more information on how to use it.