Generate SEO-friendly content topic filenames

Topics: User Forum
Jun 1, 2010 at 8:27 AM

Hello,

I wonder if it is possible to generate SEO-friendly (i.e., not GUID) filenames for content topics.

This is very important when the documentation is deployed online.

Ideally for me, the filename should be composed from the local path: for instance Content\Aspects\Initializing.aml would be mapped to Content_Aspects_Initializing.htm.

Is there any way to achieve this?

Thank you.

-gael

Coordinator
Jun 1, 2010 at 8:19 PM

You can set the NamingMethod property for API content but MAML topics are always named after the GUID.  There is no method for specifying an alternate name for the MAML topic that ends up in the help file.

Eric

Apr 8, 2011 at 2:24 PM

Hello,

I'm also very interested in the described feature. We generate HTML-Help-Files that are displayed by the application in relation to the actual selected file in a folder. So it is a very easy algorithm to open the <filename>.htm file.

The workaround that we found was to use the filename as topic-id, but this leads to the result that these topics can not used as link-adress in other topics, because link-adresses must be in the form of a Globally Unique Identifier (GUID).

Is there any chance to have both features - SEO-friendly filenames and links to them?

Harald

Coordinator
Apr 8, 2011 at 4:00 PM

For MAML topics, there is no alternative to GUID naming.  The ResolveConceptualLinks component requires a GUID ID or it will throw an exception.  That would have to be modified to accept non-GUID topic IDs.  That may introduce other problems so it would require closer examination to see if it is feasible.  There may be other areas where a GUID is required or assumed in the handling of conceptual content as well but I can't say for sure.

Eric