can't find HXCOMP.exe for HTML Help 2 Hierarchical TOC

May 11, 2010 at 1:04 PM

We have many namespaces, and it's hard to navigate.  So, I need a hierarchical table of contents for my help.  In order to use the "Hierarchical" CollectionTOCStyle, I'm attempting to use the HelpFileFormat called, "HTML Help 2".  However, when I go to build it, I get this error message:

Error BE0038: Could not find the path to the HTML 2.x help compiler.

So I checked my installation, and it appears that I don't have HXCOMP.EXE installed on my machine anywhere.  According to this article, it's only in version 1.0 of the VS 2008 SDK.  I have Visual Studio 2008 installed.

I just want a hierarchical table of contents to ease navigation.  Is there a better way than using Html Help 2 ???   Or, how do I install HXCOMP.exe when my newer version of the VS 2008 SDK doesn't have it?

Hierarchically yours,

May 11, 2010 at 1:12 PM

Looks like this post may solve my question.  I didn't know that the VS 2008 SDK wasn't included with VS 2008.

Is there a better way to get a hierarchical TOC?

May 11, 2010 at 7:25 PM

The CollectionTocStyle property only determines how the TOC is integrated into the Help 2 main help collection, not the overall layout of your topics in the TOC.  What you want is the Hierarchical TOC Plug-In which is added to the project via its PlugInConfigurations property.

May 13, 2010 at 5:48 PM

Thanks Eric!  The Hierarchical TOC plugin works great!

I'm nesting my namespaces with a tolerance of 1.  I notice that when the builder completes and launches the documentation web page, only the collapsed root namespace (generated by the plugin) appears in the navigation.  (This is good.)  However, on the right pane, a different namespace description appears on the right.  I'm sure its no coinkydink that what appears on the right is the content for the first navigation node in the tree that has content associated with it....  Is there a way to associate content with the namespace nodes that are generated by the plugin?  Or, better yet, is there a way to have it auto-generate the "proper" content?  I would think that it should list the namespaces and classes therein, like the other (non-plugin-generated-) namespace nodes do...