Links to other installed documentation

Topics: User Forum
Apr 13, 2010 at 9:49 PM

I've written a library that makes use of features from another library (Oracle's ODP.NET).  I'm trying to make types from ODP.NET, such as OracleConnection, hyperlink back to the Oracle documentation that is also installed.

I've been up and down and all around, beaten my head to a bloody pulp, and I can't get this to work.  Can't figure out what I'm missing.

Things that I think are necessary:

- Created another SHFB project that pulls in the ODP.NET DLL.

- Using Additional Reference Links plug-in to pull in that other project.  This gets things like "OracleConnection" to render as a clickable link rather than plain text.

- I also added the ODP.NET DLL as a Reference in the Project Explorer.  This didn't seem to make any difference to anything.

- Used Help Integration Wizard to build an installer to install my documentation, plugged in below the ms-help://MS.VSCC.V80/MS.VSIPCC.V80 namespace.

That represents two days work, right there.  But still no joy.  Clicking on OracleConnection brings me to an "Information Not Found" error.

If I view the source of my help page, it shows the OracleConnection link as <mshelp:link keywords="T:Oracle.DataAccess.Client.OracleConnection" tabindex="0">.  This is substantially similar to how .NET Framework links look: <mshelp:link keywords="T:System.String" tabindex="0">

But the "string" link works, and the "OracleConnection" link doesn't.

Oracle's documentation is also installed under MS.VSCC.V80/MS.VSIPCC.V80, just like mine.

What am I missing?  Could it be something wrong with the Oracle documentation itself?

- Ron

Coordinator
Apr 14, 2010 at 3:06 AM

Using the Additional Reference Links plug-in should work.  Set up a SHFB project with the ODP.NET assembly and its XML comments file as documentation sources.  Add the plug-in to your other project, add the reference project to it, and set the link type for it in the plug-in configuration to Index so that it generates MS Help 2 index links for the ODP.NET assembly members.  Have you tried using H2Reg to register your help file?  It's generally recommended over using the Help Integration Wizard.  SHFB generates a configuration file for it when you build a Help 2 file.

Eric

Apr 15, 2010 at 7:18 PM
I tried building my own fake "3rd party" library, and another library that linked with it, and tried to reference its documentation. Used the "Additional Reference Links" plug-in, registered the documentation for both library with H2REG, and it all worked perfectly. Tried making the same library documentation reference Oracle ODP.NET docs, in exactly the same way, and the links don't connect. I guess there's something about the way Oracle built the ODP.NET documentation that makes this not work. I'll just have to accept it.