All Source Files Deleted On Build

Topics: Developer Forum
Oct 30, 2006 at 6:06 PM
Ok, I will do my best to explain the situation.
I have been using this GUI for several weeks and love it, (as a former NDoc user). A couple of weeks ago I was documenting a library I had built, and not yet added to SourceSafe. After a compile using Sandcastle builder all my class files had disappeared. I initially did not link the two, I thought I had either accidentally deleted them or that VS2005 had some bug, many Windows “grasp at straws” possible errors.
Today, I passed along the Sandcastle Builder app to another developer in the team and low-and-behold, he too lost all his source files upon building the help file.

The output was set to Help1xAndWebsite with Prototype as the presentation style. The deletions only appeared to occur when the “AndWebsite” option was selected.

Really sorry to through this out there without a complete settings description, but as I mentioned, I did not link the 2 and have made loads of changes to the builder options since.

Hope from reading this something obvious to you pops into your mind.
Oct 30, 2006 at 6:32 PM
As noted in the description for the help format property, "website" builds will clear the output folder of all files before it copies the output there without warning. You should not be setting your output folder to your source files folder anyway. Instead, use the default .\Help or some other sub-folder as the output folder so that you do not lose anything important. Just so you know, you'll lose the files if you use the Clean Output Folder option on the Documentation menu too.

Nov 2, 2006 at 12:12 PM
The Output folder was set to point to a location on the network, the source files were on my local drive.
I will bear in mind your comments though.