Backwards Compatibility

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Mar 26, 2010 at 9:13 AM

Hi guys,

First of all, I'd like to say thanks for creating such a great tool. I've used an older version of SHFB for a while now and have been thoroughly impressed by it.

Secondly, my question. At my work, we currently use an older version of the tool (believe it works with schema 1.6.0.2, Revision Number: {5C24AC63-25E0-43BD-9E3B-90E94348AD83}) and I'm wanting to upgrade to get the solution documentation features which have been added in later versions and am wondering about compatibility.

Basically I would like all newly generated projects to be able to use the solution generation to create the shfb projects and older products to be able to continue using the old schema (if they choose to, for now) and then over time, convert them to the new schema when it's most approriate. Is this at all possible using the current version or a slightly earlier version?

I'm not sure I've explained that that well, so let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,

Jamie

Coordinator
Mar 26, 2010 at 8:19 PM

The latest release uses a new MSBuild based project file format that isn't backward compatible with the project file format used in v1.7.0.0 and earlier.  As long as you are using v1.7.0.0 and the latest release (v1.8.0.3), you could install them side-by-side in separate folders.  Both use different project file extensions so they will only open their respective project files.  A SHFBROOT environment variable is used by the latest release to find its files so it would just need to point to the proper location which is handled by the installer.  Both SHFB versions require the latest Sandcastle release (May 2008).  v1.6.0.2 isn't compatible with that release.  You can obtain v1.7.0.0 from http://www.ewoodruff.us/Downloads/SandcastleBuilderSetup_1700.zip.

Eric

Mar 29, 2010 at 7:31 AM

Thanks, that sounds great.

So all I would need to do is just install both versions in the same root directory and point to it using SHFBROOT? I might see if I can test this out on our production code test server.

Cheers,

Jamie

Coordinator
Mar 29, 2010 at 5:01 PM

Install each version in its own folder.  If manually copying the files, make sure a SHFBROOT system environment variable exists that points to the 1.8.0.3 version.

Eric