Local Help setup for Visual Studio 2010

Mar 4, 2010 at 10:16 AM

How do i create a Local help Setup for the Visual Studio 2010. Currently We are delivering our documentation to our customers in Help 2 format. That works fine in VS2005 and VS2008. I know that in VS2010 help system is changed.  Now i Can the generate the VS2010 helps supports files using the sandcastle. How can i register the Help 3 files like help 2. How i can manage the TOC in the Visual Studio 2010 help system. Help 3 have Help Library manager in the Visual Studio 2010. But it didn't work for me. Is there any one explain how to integrate our documentation in the Visual Studio 2010.

Mar 4, 2010 at 3:17 PM

Sandcastle doesn't fully support MS Help Viewer (Help 3) yet.  As such, the help files produced by SHFB probably won't work as expected (i.e. no TOC support).  For now, there is a migration tool available at HelpWare.net that lets you convert Help 2 files to the MS Help Viewer format.  You might try that for the time being.  There's also a lot of other information there about MS Help Viewer and how it works so it's the best resource for the time being.  The links for the migration tool and other info can be found on the main page if you scroll down a bit.