Cannot specify folder to use as "Reference" list

Topics: User Forum
Feb 25, 2010 at 9:26 PM
Edited Feb 25, 2010 at 9:27 PM

Hello,

We are using SHFB for a couple of our projects here at Microsoft, and we recently upgraded to the latest version of SHFB.  It is working great, but I cannot seem to find a way to add a "folder" name as a way to specify our dependencies, instead of having to modify the references list each time our dependencies list changes.  Is there a way to do this with the new version?

Old way:

dependencies>
        <dependencyItem depPath=".\Dependencies\*.*" />
</dependencies>

New way:

<ItemGroup>
    <Reference Include="[assembly_name]">
      <HintPath>Dependencies\[assembly_name]</HintPath>
     </Reference>
</ItemGroup>

Thank you for your assistance!

Coordinator
Feb 26, 2010 at 3:05 AM

References are like those found in Visual Studio projects now and can be for a file, a project, a GAC reference, or COM reference.  Folders are not supported.  However, Visual Studio solution and project files are supported as documentation sources and that is the preferred way of adding documentation sources since SHFB will then automatically figure out which assemblies, comments files, and references to use based on the solution/project file content so that you don't have to update them in the SHFB project.

Eric

Feb 26, 2010 at 4:02 AM

Hi Eric,

Thank you for your quick response.  We are removed from development, so we do not have the ability to use the Visual Studio solution/project files.  We can probably just update them manually as needed, but it was nice to not have to worry about adding new references when development placed them in their drop location.  It would be nice if a future version brought back the functionality for specifying a directory.  Is there any way to modify the SHFB project file XML to allow for folder specification?

Regardless, your tool is excellent and has made life easier for us.  Especially the version builder plug-in.

Best Regards,

Dominic F. Ferraro

Build Engineer

Microsoft Corporation - Volt

One Microsoft Way

Redmond, WA 98052-6399

a-doferr@microsoft.com

Sent: Thursday, February 25, 2010 7:06 PM
To: Dominic Ferraro (Volt)
Subject: Re: Cannot specify folder to use as "Reference" list [SHFB:198139]

References are like those found in Visual Studio projects now and can be for a file, a project, a GAC reference, or COM reference. Folders are not supported. However, Visual Studio solution and project files are supported as documentation sources and that is the preferred way of adding documentation sources since SHFB will then automatically figure out which assemblies, comments files, and references to use based on the solution/project file content so that you don't have to update them in the SHFB project.

Eric

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (SHFB@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email SHFB@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

Coordinator
Feb 26, 2010 at 8:28 PM

There isn't currently a way for SHFB to allow for folder specifications in references.  I can probably add a custom reference type that does support a folder specification and then expand it to individual file references at build time.  I'll see what I can do.

Eric

Feb 26, 2010 at 8:51 PM

Hi Eric,

Okay, sounds great.  Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Dominic F. Ferraro

Build Engineer

Microsoft Corporation - Volt

One Microsoft Way

Redmond, WA 98052-6399

Phone: N/A

Cell: (973) 294 2277

a-doferr@microsoft.com

Sent: Friday, February 26, 2010 12:29 PM
To: Dominic Ferraro (Volt)
Subject: Re: Cannot specify folder to use as "Reference" list [SHFB:198139]

There isn't currently a way for SHFB to allow for folder specifications in references. I can probably add a custom reference type that does support a folder specification and then expand it to individual file references at build time. I'll see what I can do.

Eric

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (SHFB@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email SHFB@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

Apr 6, 2010 at 10:36 PM

^bump

This thread makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. Open source and Microsoft. who woulda thunk? :-)