[Missing <param> documentation for "step"]

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Oct 15, 2007 at 6:14 AM
I am using the helpfilebuilder to generate for generating the .chm for the test.cs file provided the in the examples of the sandcastle that is provided while one downloads sancastle CTP June 2007 version and its the folder "C:\Program Files\Sandcastle\Examples\Sandcastle" .The file name is test.cs .While i use the 11 steps for generating the documention using sandcatle everything work fine but with helpfilebuilder if i generate the documentation I get the following error for few methods "Missing <param> documentation for "step"","Missing <summary> documentation for M:TestNamespace.StoredNumber.Dec" .Can someone throw some light on this .And last and not the least where(path of the folder where its generated) is this file generated using the helpfilebuilder .

Thanks in Advance

Oct 15, 2007 at 6:19 AM
Please read through the Getting Started section and browse through the property description topics in the help file. What you're seeing is caused the the ShowMissing* set of properties. These are the same as the NDoc ShowMissing* properties which add "missing" notes to such items as missing summaries, parameters, returns comments etc so that you can go back and add those items. If you don't want to see such warnings, set the associated property to false. The Sandcastle example has empty, missing, or invalid comments on the noted items.

Oct 15, 2007 at 9:23 AM
I did check the same they are having the param tag and summary tag that u have mention in the test.cs as well and in same is the case with my project .Can u pls throw some light on the same .

Oct 15, 2007 at 5:16 PM
/// <param name="step"></param>

That's empty (no actual comment text) thus the warning. To be valid, it needs a description between the tags.

/// <overloads>
/// <summary>test overlads tag</summary>
/// </overloads>

This does have text but the summary is nested in the overloads tag. The overloads stuff will appear on the Overloads page for the method but not on the individual method itself. As such, it needs a summary tag outside the overloads tag that describes the individual method. Please see the Links to Resource topic in the help file. There's a link to an XML comments guide that you may find useful.

Aug 11, 2008 at 9:21 PM
Code (well, comment section)

/// GenerateClassFilesBLL takes database name from Core class (pulled from interface)

/// and sets the path and runs the class generation methods.

/// </summary>

/// <param name="dbasename">The name of the database accessed.</param>

void GenerateClassFilesBLL(string dbasename);

Generates this from SandCastle:

[Missing <summary> documentation for M:CodeGenerator.Interfaces.IBusinessLogicLayer.GenerateClassFilesBLL(System.String)]

Declaration Syntax
void GenerateClassFilesBLL(
	string dbasename
Sub GenerateClassFilesBLL ( _
	dbasename As String _
void GenerateClassFilesBLL(
	String^ dbasename
dbasename (String)

[Missing <param name="dbasename"/> documentation for "M:CodeGenerator.Interfaces.IBusinessLogicLayer.GenerateClassFilesBLL(System.String)"]

What is missing here then?
Aug 12, 2008 at 1:52 AM

Check the XML comments file referenced in the project to see if it contains that member ID with the expected comments.  It could be that you're referencing the file in the Debug\ as opposed to the Release\ folder and/or you need to do a full rebuild to get the comments file up to date.

May 3, 2010 at 9:14 AM

It seems I have the same problem here.
    /// <summary>
    /// Utility to manipulate IUploadable objects
    /// Contains its own configuration 
    /// </summary>
    public sealed class FileUtility

[Missing <summary> documentation for "T:RecordLabel.Lib.FileUtility"]

The file is referenced in Debug not in Release.

May 3, 2010 at 7:00 PM

It's usually either that you aren't generating XML comments or they are out of date.  Look in the XML comments file to see if you can see the missing comments.  If not, rebuild the project and check again.

Feb 11, 2011 at 1:56 PM

Make sure you add both the dll on which Sandcastle should reflect but also the xml documentation file Visual Studio generates for it.