.NET 3.0 Documentation

Sep 21, 2007 at 8:23 PM
Hi, I'm trying to use SHFB to document a WPF assembly (.NET 3.0) however it gives me tons of warnings and never seems to resolve the WPF core system types such as UIElement. So when I browse docs, none of the inherited types/members have links to system types and there is no documentation pulled in for those.

Warnings (thousands of them) are all like this:
Warn: ResolveReferenceLinksComponent2: Unknown reference link target 'T:System.Windows.UIElement'.
Warn: ResolveReferenceLinksComponent2: Unknown reference link target 'M:System.Windows.UIElement.OnKeyDown(System.Windows.Input.KeyEventArgs)'.

My guess is that since Microsoft put the .NET 3.0 assemblies and comment files in a different folder than in the older frameworks, they aren't being picked up either by Sandcastle or SHFB. Here is the location of the assemblies and comment files:
C:\Program Files\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\v3.0

What can I configure to get those to be picked up? Thanks!

Coordinator
Sep 22, 2007 at 3:01 AM
See this thread in the MSDN Documentation Forum http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1873533&SiteID=1. The September CTP is due out late next week. If it's still an issue, you might want to bring it up in that forum to see if anything is going to be done to better support it.

Eric
Sep 24, 2007 at 7:31 PM
Hi Eric,

Thanks for the tip, just followed it and that did indeed get the links to .NET 3.0 types working perfectly.

I'm still having one issue though, it seems to no be pulling in any inherited member summaries in the member lists. So say I have an object in my library that inherits UIElement, CaptureMouse is pulled in as a public method from UIElement. I see it listed in the members list of my type however the Description column is only showing "(Inherited from UIElement.)" and not this:

Attempts to force capture of the mouse to this element. (Inherited from UIElement.)

Any ideas there?

Sep 24, 2007 at 8:14 PM
Nevermind, I played around and figured it out. Looks like I needed to add the .NET 3.0 assembly folder that contained the XML documentation files to your "C:\Program Files\Sandcastle Help File Builder\Templates\VS2005.config" file. Thanks again for the help Eric and keep up the good work.