Javascript doc and SHFB?

Topics: Developer Forum
Sep 6, 2007 at 4:19 PM
Any chance that SHFB will support Javascript documentation?

AjaxDoc handles the generation of the xml documentation and the reflection file.
What's needed in SHFB is the ability to add these files ( doc.xml and reflection.xml ) to the project without an associated DLL, and have the reflection step skipped for this entry, just use the reflection.xml instead.
Sep 6, 2007 at 7:13 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Sep 6, 2007 at 7:21 PM
It's been on my To Do list to investigate. It seems to be generating more interest so I've created a work item for it. I don't think it will make it into the upcoming release for the September CTP but I'll see what I can do.

Oct 10, 2007 at 12:27 PM
I see that this was implemented in the September release. Can you provide a little more information on what SHFB actually does with and how it works with the AjaxDoc program? In particular I know the AjaxDoc program will generate an XML file and .org file, can SHFB actually take these two files and generate a compiled help from them?

Oct 10, 2007 at 3:01 PM
A plug-in is supplied that alters the build process in order to produce documentation using AjaxDoc. To use it, select the PlugInConfigurations property, click the "..." to bring up the configuration dialog, select the AjaxDoc plug-in and add it to the project. Select the plug-in and click the configure button to set its options. See the help file for a description of the configuration options.

I can't give you details on how AjaxDoc does its thing. The plug-in overrides various key steps throughout the build process to fit the AjaxDoc stuff in where its needed. It just invokes it (optional based on the configuration), downloads the resulting files, and plugs them into the build process to generate a help file.

Oct 10, 2007 at 8:02 PM
Edited Oct 10, 2007 at 8:28 PM
Okay, i've gotten everything setup, but when I build I get a crash from the BuilderAssembly. I get an object not set to an instance of an object. It was when it was trying to build a AjaxDoc member. It appears to have generated several of the members, but chokes on this one. Here is the couple lines before the error dialog appeared:

Info: BuildAssembler: Building topic T:J#Error
Warn: ShowMissingComponent: Missing <summary> documentation for T:J#Error
Info: BuildAssembler: Building topic

It appears to have something to do with it being I'm assuming the F standard for field.

Oct 10, 2007 at 10:18 PM
You didn't list the actual error so I can't see what failed. If you can e-mail me the AjaxDoc reflection file and comments file I can test it and see if it's a Sandcastle issue or one of my build components that's causing the problem.