SandcastleBuilderConsole.exe on Buildserver

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum
Sep 6, 2007 at 3:38 PM
hello,
I want to use SandcastleBuilderConsole.exe on a buildserver. But I don't want to instal the whole GUI.
I'm making a HTML Help 2x project.

I get an error that he cant find the path:
-------------------------------
Copying standard help content...
Last step completed in 00:00:00.0000

BUILD FAILED: Could not find a part of the path 'D:\svn\Thirdparty\Sandcastle\Presentation\Art\scripts'.
------------------------------
This path is in the directory of Sandcastle himself.
But it does not exists.

When I use it on my machine (with the GUI,sandcastle,... installed) it gives no error and makes the HTM page.

Do someone has any idea what I do wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Sep 6, 2007 at 5:21 PM
Why not install the Sandcastle and SHFB on the build server?
You can delete the SandcastleGUI.exe if you are so afraid someone might run it.
Coordinator
Sep 6, 2007 at 8:19 PM
You need to install Sandcastle itself on the server or at least copy all of its supporting files to a location that the project can find. The error you're getting seems to indicate that it can't find the presentation style files that it needs.

Regarding the help file builder, the same thing applies. Install it or copy the stuff it needs. As mogens noted, you can delete the GUI executable if you don't want it there.

Eric
Sep 7, 2007 at 8:33 AM
We use our source code system to deploy all software on the buildserver.
This makes it very easy to work with a new version of our tools. (Or install a new buildserver)
So we do have the software on the buildserver, but it is not installed using the msi.
With .net tools that does not give a problem. That is why we did the same with sandcastle & Sandcastle help builder.
We noticed the presence of Html Help Workshop. We suspect it is still the pre .net version. Do we need it?
If so did anyone deploy this without installing?

Sep 7, 2007 at 9:04 AM
I made it work...
I made a folder Sandcastle\Presentation\Art at that place manually.

And in that folder I putted all sources from the folder Sandcastle\Presentation\Prototype.

How it refers to Art I did't figured out yet. But the most important is it makes the help files.

What is strange, on my locale machine I use the same sources, but he does not needs the Art folder.

However,
Thanks for the advice and the tool