This program cannot display the webpage

Topics: User Forum
Jul 26, 2007 at 8:55 PM
I am having trouble when I compile or move the files from local to a network share.

How can I distribute or share the help files? Can you point me in the right direction?

Jul 26, 2007 at 9:36 PM
You'll need to be more specific. What problems are you having?

Jul 27, 2007 at 11:26 AM
OK, I will try.

Being a relative novice to the Help world. Here is what I would like to do.

I want to be able to distribute the Help.chm to multiple computers as well as make it available from a Network Share. When I run the Build process using a Network Share and then open the help file I get a Page Cannot Be Displayed message. This is also true when I simply copy the file(s) from local to network.

When I look at the properties of the default web page this is the link.
res://ieframe.dll/navcancl.htm#mk:@MSITStore:S:\Help\NetClaimHelp.chm::/NetClaimHelpWebSite. The S:\ drive is a network share.

I have tried a UNC path but that is erroring out with Not Supported.

I would really prefer to share this as a web site but the search features aren't available.

Can I build an Install Package for the .chm file(s)? Is there an option for Search with a website? In general what are my options? Oh yeah, the documentation is for a website.

Thanks Steve

Jul 27, 2007 at 1:23 PM
This is a result of Microsoft security updates. The following link has a resolution:
Jul 27, 2007 at 4:00 PM
This is noted in the FAQ. See the answer for the questions "Why doesn't my compiled help file load? / Why do all of the help file topics display a 'Page not found' error?"

If you have a web server you can create a virtual directory for it and copy the results of the website build there. The Index.aspx page will then work and will provide search capabilities. Index.html is there mainly for viewing the web site as a file share or on non-.NET web servers.

Jul 30, 2007 at 12:46 PM
Thanks for the information. One more question. When I create a website. It doesn't contain the correct using clauses. I was able to add System.Xml but am usure which type of List you used for SearchHelp.aspx.
Jul 30, 2007 at 1:22 PM
Now i have all of the correct using clauses and it will provide results from a search etc. But the divSearchResults section was missing on Index.aspx so I was getting a javascript error. I have added a divSearchResults section but now I can't seem to find the correct location for it. Still working on it, hopefully I will figure it out soon.
Jul 30, 2007 at 4:32 PM
The files work out of the box, no changes needed. You might check the virtual directory to make sure its set to .NET 2.0 and not .NET 1.1. This assumes you created a virtual directory for the help file website. If you're merging it into an existing site, then you may just need to merge in the stuff from the supplied Web.config file. divSearchResults is there too so I can't see how it would be missing.