This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.
1

Closed

Crash/hang/extended wait when adding child topics in ContentLayout.content

description

Whenever I try to add a child topic inside the ContentLayout.content file, I encounter really long wait times and/or Visual Studio crashing. in one instance I added a blank topic using the context menu which worked fine, but when I moved the topic file and modified the Topic Filename property to indicate the new path, Visual Studio hung for as long as about five minutes. This also happens when adding a blank topic placeholder in the content layout and then attempting to add the topic tot eh Topic Filename property.
Closed Jan 26, 2015 at 6:17 AM by EWoodruff
No further reply from OP. Since I was unable to reproduce the problem I'm closing the issue as I've moved the project to GitHub.

If you determine there is an issue, please re-open by posting a new issue on the GitHub project site.

comments

EWoodruff wrote Jan 14, 2015 at 7:12 PM

Is the project under source control? Does it happen if the project is not under source control?

lucasvogel wrote Jan 14, 2015 at 7:43 PM

The project is not under source control. I forgot to also mention it's using VS2012.

EWoodruff wrote Jan 15, 2015 at 1:36 AM

I'm unable to duplicate the problem with any version of Visual Studio from 2010 to 2015. Is this a large project (how many files)? If you create a new project with a few topics, do you still see the issue?

I haven't tried it but if you've got the Show All Files option enabled in the Solution Explorer and it's including the help/working folder that could significantly increase the number of files shown in the Solution Explorer that it might be looking at to see if a new file is in the project. If enabled, turn it off to see if that makes a difference.

lucasvogel wrote Jan 15, 2015 at 2:16 PM

I have maybe a dozen AML files, tops. The documentation source(s) are pretty big - the project takes a good five minutes to compile - but other than that, there really isn't a lot of content - the All Files option wasn't enabled, either.

I think I'm going to try to test/debug this myself to see if I can figure out what might be the problem. Let me know if there's anything I need to know in order to get set up and going on that quickly.

Thanks!

EWoodruff wrote Jan 15, 2015 at 3:08 PM

See the ReadMe.txt file in the root. It should get you going. You can copy the reflection data folders from the installed release to the .\SHFB\Deploy\Data\ folder to save having to rebuild it.

wrote Jan 26, 2015 at 6:17 AM