root element is missing

Topics: Developer Forum
Apr 25, 2007 at 4:23 PM
Edited Apr 25, 2007 at 4:24 PM
I'm trying to generate a helpf ile for a NetTiers project and I get: BUILD FAILED: Root element is missing.
I have all the dependencies right and don't know what to check now. I have the latest version of the software. I downloaded it from here a few days ago.
This is the last part of the output:

Generating reflection information...
d:\testhelp\Working\GenerateRefInfo.bat
MrefBuilder (v2.2.63000.2)
Copyright c Microsoft 2006
Last step completed in 00:00:02.2434

BUILD FAILED: Root element is missing.
Coordinator
Apr 25, 2007 at 7:09 PM
There should be more in the log than that. There should be some results from MRefBuilder. After the failed build, go to the working directory and run GenerateRefInfo.bat. What do you get then?

Eric
Apr 25, 2007 at 7:22 PM
On the commandline it just gives me MrefBuilder (v2.2.63000.2) Copyright c Microsoft 2006
and I get a MessageBox with this:

Assertion Failed: Abort=Quit, Retry=Debug, Ignore=Continue

at Duplicator.ProvideTypeMembers(TypeNode dup, Object handle)
at Specializer.ProvideTypeMembers(TypeNode typeNode, Object handle)
at TypeNode.get_Members()
at EnumNode.get_UnderlyingType()
at Reader.GetLiteral(Int32 parentCodedIndex, TypeNode type)
at Reader.GetFieldFromDef(Int32 i, TypeNode declaringType)
at Reader.AddFieldsToType(TypeNode type, FieldRow[] fieldDefs, FieldPtrRow[] fieldPtrs, Int32 start, Int32 end)
at Reader.GetTypeMembers(TypeNode type, Object handle)
at TypeNode.get_Members()
at TypeNode.get_TemplateParameters()
at TypeNode.GetConsolidatedTemplateParameters()
at TypeNode.get_ConsolidatedTemplateParameters()
at Reader.RemoveTypeParametersBelongToDeclaringType(Int32 i, TypeNodeList& typeParameters, TypeNode type)
at Reader.GetTypeFromDefHelper(Int32 i)
at Reader.GetTypeFromDef(Int32 i)
at Reader.GetTypeList(Module module)
at Module.get_Types()
at ApiVisitor.LoadAssembly(String filePath)
at ApiVisitor.LoadAssemblies(String filePattern)
at MRefBuilder.Main(String[] args)
Apr 25, 2007 at 7:56 PM
I should mention that I have created help files from other assemblies and it worked fine. This problem only arises when I try to make a help file for a NetTiers project assembly.
Coordinator
Apr 26, 2007 at 1:56 AM
This appears to be a bug in MRefBuilder. You can report it on the MSDN Forum. Be sure to post all the details. You'll probably be asked if you can supply a test case.

Eric
Apr 26, 2007 at 4:48 PM
Not what I was hoping to hear, but thanks for the quick response and nice job with your program.
May 2, 2007 at 11:42 PM
We have the same problem in our documentation build and I reported it to Microsoft at https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=275355. Please, vote on the importance of this issue and also confirm that you have the same problem.
Coordinator
May 3, 2007 at 2:18 AM
You're much better off posting Sandcastle bugs in the MSDN Documentation forum. Anand monitors it fairly closely and will respond to bug reports with a request for a test case if they need one. He's a bit behind lately but has said he should be catching up on the posts soon.

Eric
May 3, 2007 at 6:02 AM
thanx for the tip, i will report it there.

.f