SyntaxFilters option not working in v1.8.0.3

Topics: User Forum
Feb 17, 2010 at 4:15 PM

Maybe it's that I don't know how to use it, but no matter what I select from the SyntaxFilters project property drop-down list, it always returns back to Standard. I just want to enable CSharp-only examples, but I can't and, instead, I'm getting things such as C++, which are useless for my purposes. Is there any way to workarround this? If not, when is it planned to be fixed?

By the way, the assignment of SHFB projects to SHFB GUI executable was 50-50 in my installation. After installation, I had SHFB already in the list of Visual Studio (2008) known applications, but the default one was set to Visual Studio XML Editor. Any ideas of why that happens? It would be nice to have a fix for that too. I'm planning adopting SHFB in my company and the easier to integrate with Visual Studio, the better.

Thanks in advance,

Abel

P.S. Superb! This new (for me) interface is much better than the one I knew from a year and something ago. Keep the hard work! ;-)

Coordinator
Feb 17, 2010 at 8:43 PM

There's a bug in the current release that causes the designer to resets the filter to Standard if it contains CSharp, VisualBasic, and/or CPlusPlus.  The workaround is to make a note of the language names you want (in your case just CSharp), open the project file in a text editor, and then enter those values as a comma-separated list for the SyntaxFilters property value.  The designer won't reset the property unless you edit it after that.  A recent blog post implies that we might be seeing a Sandcastle update late this month so I'm waiting to see if that materializes.  If not, I'll release a new version of SHFB that includes the fix and a few other changes I've got pending.

The project extension changed in v1.8.0.0 from .shfb to .shfbproj.  If your old Open With definition in Visual Studio was still related to the ".shfb" extension, it wouldn't have any effect and Visual Studio probably defaulted to using the XML editor.  Once associated with the new extension, I haven't seen it not use the SHFB GUI when opened from within Visual Studio.  There isn't any true Visual Studio integration just yet so editing the Open With association is a manual change.

Eric