Visual Studio Post-Build Event

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Feb 3, 2010 at 3:35 AM

Since the latest version of the tool now does not include the SandcastleBuilderConsole.exe console application to use for tying into VS.NET 2008 Post-Build events on a project, I'm trying to use what is outlined here - - refer to the "Specifying a Post-Build Event to Build a Help File" section. Entering the script noted successfully runs the Post-build event but from within Visual Studio - the action cause the actual Sandcastle Help Builder GUI application to launch. I want to basically run the help file generation unassisted from within Visual Studio - which I assume was what the SandcastleBuilderConsole.exe application was for previously. What are my options here?

Thanks for a great tool! 

Feb 3, 2010 at 3:05 PM
Edited Feb 3, 2010 at 3:08 PM

What does your post-build event look like?  It should be using MSBuild to build the project, not the GUI executable.  Just a thought:  Is everything for the MSBuild call on one line in the build event?  The example in the help file is split across multiple lines for readability.  If you split the project file out onto its own line, the shell would take over and launch the GUI.

Feb 3, 2010 at 4:21 PM

You are the man! Here was the syntax originally:

/p:CleanIntermediates=True /p:Configuration=Release

Changing the syntax to:

"$(SystemRoot)\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5\MSBuild.exe" /p:CleanIntermediates=True /p:Configuration=Release "$(SolutionDir)Doc\SandcastleBuilder.shfbproj" solved the problem.

Thanks for the quick response. I can not say how much this tool is a fantastic addition to ensuring proper code documentation is created.