Crosslink between XML comments in different assemblies?

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Jan 25, 2010 at 7:00 AM

I have a software solution with more than one project/assembly/DLL/namespace.

Inter-project dependencies are necessarily one way, for example if A depends on and references B, then B can't depend on or reference A.

When I'm documenting APIs using XML comments, I somtimes want to include a hyperlink to a higher-level assembly: for example in the documentation of a method of 'B', to say that "This method is invoked from the <see cref="A:Foo.Bar"> method".

Doing this doesn't work however; the cref cross-link isn't resolved: because when the compiler compiles the B assembly, it doesn't know about the A assembly.

Is there any way to author this kind of cross-link, from a lowever-level assembly to a higher-level one?

Coordinator
Jan 25, 2010 at 7:11 PM

Your cref value isn't correct.  It should be something like "M:A.Foo.Bar".  The initial prefix character should match the member type (i.e. M: for method, P: for property, etc.) and is followed by a colon.  The parts of the fully qualified name after that are separated by periods.  Once corrected and assuming you've added both assemblies as documentation sources, the help topics should contain valid links.

Eric