inheritdoc question

Topics: User Forum
Jan 24, 2010 at 3:47 PM

Scratching my head over what I think is unexpected behavior.  I have a class that inherits from DbParameterCollection and implements the

following methods, that I have specified to use inheritdoc like so:

/// <inheritdoc cref="System.Data.Common.DbParameterCollection.GetParameter(String)" />
	protected override DbParameter GetParameter( string parameterName ) {
	}

/// <inheritdoc cref="System.Data.Common.DbParameterCollection.GetParameter(Int32)" />
	protected override DbParameter GetParameter( int index ) {
	}

After building the helpfile (CHM), navigating to the GetParameter method and selecting it, I am taken to an Overloads page showing both methods as I expect.

However, when I click on either from this page, the browser launches and I am taken to the MSDN page for the corresponding DbParameterCollection.GetParameter method.

I have configured the project SdkLinkType to be Msdn, but here I was expecting the inheritdoc tag to merge the DbParameterCollection.GetParameter help into my file, as it does in other places.

Am I missing something, misconfigured something, or is this the expected behavior?

Coordinator
Jan 24, 2010 at 7:49 PM

I doubt this is related to the generation of inherited documentation.  The inherited documentation appears on the member page itself and the summary will appear on the overloads page.  The overloads page is generated by Sandcastle.  The link to the topic is also generated by Sandcastle and is unrelated to inherited documentation.  Just to be clear, the link in the left hand cell goes to the member topic in your help file.  The link following the summary in the right hand cell after the "Overrides" text will go to the base class member which, if it's a framework member, will open the MSDN page.  If you expand the method node in the TOC, you should see the entries for your class members and clicking on those will display the API page in the help file with the inherited documentation which is where the link in the left hand cell in the overloads table should go.  I just tried this and all is working as expected.  If you've got a case that isn't working that way, e-mail it to me and I'll take a look at it.  My e-mail address is in the About box in the GUI and in the footer of the pages in the help file.

Eric

Feb 12, 2010 at 11:49 PM
Edited Feb 14, 2010 at 5:37 PM

Update for anyone who comes across this issue in the future...I contacted Eric with a project demonstrating the problem.  The issue was that the class in question was sealed; when I removed the sealed keyword from the class, the protected methods were documented properly.

Eric identified the problem as a known MRefBuilder bug without a workaround: http://sandcastle.codeplex.com/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=934.