Inclusion of a Separate log of Warnings

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Dec 18, 2009 at 3:35 PM

Hi Eric;

It would be really useful to be able to view a separate list of warnings for any associated build.  My solution has 17 different projects which creates +9K topics.  Without sifting through the generated hierarchy, it is currently very difficult to determine exactly where there are missing XML paramters, return values etc.  As you can imagine, retrieving this information from the log file is a massive task.

Being able to view just the warnings as a separate log, would greatly assist in identifying issues that need rectification in the associated documentation.

Kindest Regards

Dave

Coordinator
Dec 19, 2009 at 7:46 PM

I'll see what I can do.  It may be possible to add an option to filter it down to just warnings and errors though some of them may lose some context without the preceding text.  In the GUI, if you switch the build window to show output from the log file, it runs the log through an XSL transformation that highlights the errors and warnings.  This makes them stand out a little better when scrolling through the log.

Eric

Dec 23, 2009 at 2:17 PM

Just to add;

It is specifically the ShowMissingComponent warnings, that would want to be filtered, so we can quickly, see which XML comments are missing.

Kindest Regards

Dave

Dec 30, 2009 at 7:09 PM

Hi Dave,

We had the same issue where we wanted the ShowMissingComponent warnings, so we just built a little program that read in the log file, looked for lines that started with Warn: ShowMissingComponent:, and then wrote those lines to a separate log file. Another option is to use a regular expression tool such as Expresso to search for the specific lines in the log file.

Katy

Coordinator
Dec 31, 2009 at 1:43 AM

I just added an option to the Output Window so that it can filter the output to only show warnings and errors in the build steps.  It works quite well.  It's a parameter that gets passed to the XSL transformation used to convert the log file to HTML.

Eric

Dec 31, 2009 at 10:43 AM

Thanks Eric;

That sounds great, I'm sure its going to make life much easier on large projects.  Is it possible to filter on ShowMissingComponent warnings only?

Katy thanks for your tip as well.  The work around that I have been using, is to search for "Missing" in the compiled help file, which managed to catch 798 missing parameters (ouch).  So guess whos been a busy lad over the past few days.

Happy new year to all.

Kind Regards

Dave

Coordinator
Dec 31, 2009 at 7:08 PM

It's just a basic filter for now that looks for warning and error messages.  It uses the same regular expressions that are used to highlight them.  My guess is that most will be from ShowMissingComponent anyway with a few unresolved links and the the initial chunk of "duplicate resource" messages so filtering for specific text may not be necessary.

Eric