Where to put translations?

Topics: User Forum
Oct 5, 2009 at 8:38 AM

Hi,

I have now tried out SHFB and it does work a lot better than plain Sandcastle. Especially the URL cache speeds up the build process a lot. But I'm stuck with the localisation/translation part right now. I had already translated the 3 files for Sandcastle to German (de_DE) and would like to use them here, too. I've read the docs about it but I still don't know what to do. Where is that "noted .\Content" folder? Do I need to create a folder named "de-DE" somewhere and copy the 3 files (feedBack_content.xml, reference_content.xml, shared_content.xml) into it? Will VS2005BuilderContent_de-DE.xml still overwrite my translation then? If so, can I delete the file? Do I need to merge the 3 files into {program folder}\SharedContent\VS2005BuilderContent_de-DE.xml? Either way, the build process just gives me a warning that the German language could not be found and it would be using English instead.

Coordinator
Oct 5, 2009 at 3:21 PM

See this topic on localization.  The translated files will go in a folder under C:\Program Files\Sandcastle\Presentation\[style]\Content where [style] is the presentation style (Prototype, Hana, VS2005).  Name the folder after the language such as de-DE (C:\Program Files\Sandcastle\Presentation\VS2005\Content\de-DE).  Note that you need to copy all resource files from the base .\Content folder to the language folder even if you didn't edit them not just the three you noted.  If you're not interested in creating English language help, you could just overwrite the files in the base .\Content folder and they'll get used by default regardless of the language selection in the project.

The SHFB translation files will override the Sandcastle translations on an item by item basis (only those items defined in the SHFB file).  If you want to adjust them, you can edit the SHFB resource files found in the .\SharedContent folder in the SHFB installation folder.

Eric

Oct 6, 2009 at 7:36 AM

Thank you, this works as expected.

BTW, when you create a Sandcastle\Presentation\vs2005\Content\de-DE directory, you also need to create Sandcastle\Presentation\shared\content\de-DE, but the compiler will tell you and stop if you forget it.