ResolveReferenceLinksComponent2: Unknown reference link target

Topics: User Forum
Sep 30, 2009 at 2:36 PM

I have been getting a compile warning using v1.8.0.2, as follows:

"Warn: ResolveReferenceLinksComponent2: Unknown reference link target 'T:Mintmark.MintBox.Util.LoggingObject'."

The thing is, I have tried adding the Mintmark.MintBox.Util assembly in the References node as a project, as a DLL and even as a GAC reference - but I still get the same error message.

Am I really as stupid as my ex-wife claims?

TIA for any help,

Sep 30, 2009 at 3:16 PM

This is normal, it's just trying to locate documentation for a base class member for one of the member list pages.  Unless an assembly is added as a documentation source, the resolve links component won't be able to find documentation for it.  You normally don't want to do that for reference assemblies so you can ignore the warnings.

Sep 30, 2009 at 4:14 PM

Hi Eric,

If that is the case, then could you please explain to me what the purpose is of the "References" node?

And even if the documentation couldn't be found for the assembly listed as a Reference, couldn't enumeration values be deduced via reflection?

In any case, thank you for your very prompt response - and for an excellent product!

Oct 1, 2009 at 12:09 AM

Reference assemblies are included so that MRefBuilder can get information about the base classes but are included in the help file documentation.  It still looks for documentation for the base class members for the list pages for the summary only and tries to generate links for the object hierarchy lists at the bottom of the class topics.  You can choose to ignore the warnings or use the Additional Reference Links plug-in to add summary documentation for those items and indicate that they should not be rendered as links.  See the plug-in's help topic for more info.

Mar 21, 2011 at 2:00 PM

Hello Eric,

I get this error/ Warning when building the help file using shfb project--

Warn: ResolveReferenceLinksComponent2: Unknown reference link target 'T:... Cvar'

fyi, CVar is a custom class in one of the core assemblies.

Whenever I try to refer to this type CVar as a parameter, I do not see CVar as a link. I want this to appear as a link, can you tell me what could be wrong here?

Thanks in advance!

Mar 21, 2011 at 7:03 PM

Unless the assembly is one of the core .NET Framework assemblies or you've included it as a documentation source in the help project, Sandcastle won't know how to resolve the link to the member in question.  You can use the Additional Reference Links plug-in to specify the additional information an how to render the links to those items.  As noted in the help topic, the best you can do for website and Help 1 links is set the type to None so that it renders bold text using the appropriate member name since cross linking between the help output of those two types isn't supported.  Links to other help content will work for Help 2 and MS Help Viewer files.

Mar 21, 2011 at 7:10 PM

Thanks for your response Eric. Took me about 6 hours today but I figured out that I had to manually go in the shfbproj file and change the isDocumented = true for all the missing references. Most of my warning messages have now disappeared.

Is there a way we can set this property in the GUI or we have to go in the project file manually and fix this always?

Thanks again.

Mar 22, 2011 at 2:20 AM

If you're referring to the isDocumented attribute on the NamespaceSummaryItem elements, then use the NamespaceSummaries property in the Comments category of the Properties Window in the GUI to edit the namespace comments and which ones are excluded.  By default, the only one excluded is the "(global)" namespace since it typically doesn't contain user code.

Mar 22, 2011 at 1:20 PM

I see. Thanks for letting me know this Eric and thanks for your prompt responses.