How to update the website output?

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Sep 28, 2009 at 2:04 AM

Hi,

We currently use SHFB - it's absolutely fantastic at making Sandcastle approachable :-)

One issue I currently have is the output website for offering online help. The output is a bit on the crusty side and I'd love to put some work into it to help make it a bit more modern looking and attractive. I realise it's the output of the tools but was hoping there might be some advice on how to go about these changes with SHFB or generally if I need to change something with Sandcastle itself?

Thanks in advance,

John-Daniel Trask

Coordinator
Sep 28, 2009 at 5:03 AM

The display, search, and index pages and the supporting files used to display the topics for the website output are actually part of SHFB.  Assuming you keep the same keyword index files generated during the build, giving it a fresh interface to display the topics is just a matter of replacing the templates.  You can find the default website stuff in the .\Web folder in the SHFB installation folder.  Website design isn't really my thing hence the, uh, "crustiness" :).  The default files use the SHFB replacement tags to embed project property values within the files when built.  See the help file for information on what they do.  If you have questions, I can answer them here.

Eric

Sep 28, 2009 at 5:38 AM

Thanks Eric, no offense intended on the design front! :-)

Thanks again for such a fantastic piece of software!

John-Daniel Trask