Documentation source not generating the documentation

Sep 23, 2009 at 3:19 PM

Hi,

I have a couple of dlls and exes as my documentation source to the shfb project. All but one of the exe and its xml gets ommitted from being documented in the generated chm file. I clicked on the "NamespaceSummaries" button to see if the exe has been excluded by mistake, but it appears that the exe doesnt get listed under namespace summaries at all.. Could you help me figure out what the reason for this behaviour might be?

Coordinator
Sep 23, 2009 at 7:14 PM

The most likely cause is that the missing classes are not public.  You can set the project's DocumentPrivates and DocumentInterals project properties to True.  If they show up when you do a build after that, then that's the cause.  You can either leave those properties enabled or update the code to declare the classes as public.  The downside to leaving documenting privates/internals is that a lot of other stuff gets included that you may not want but you can remove it using the ApiFilter project property.

Eric

Sep 23, 2009 at 7:40 PM
Yes Eric,

I noticed that apparently, the classes were not public . That was the reason why they were not documented.

Thanks,
Phalguni.

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 2:14 PM, EWoodruff <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

The most likely cause is that the missing classes are not public.  You can set the project's DocumentPrivates and DocumentInterals project properties to True.  If they show up when you do a build after that, then that's the cause.  You can either leave those properties enabled or update the code to declare the classes as public.  The downside to leaving documenting privates/internals is that a lot of other stuff gets included that you may not want but you can remove it using the ApiFilter project property.

Eric

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (SHFB@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email SHFB@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Oct 31, 2009 at 6:24 AM

I am New to sandCastle..I have Compiled my Visual Studio Project in 2008 and now i have .dll and .XML file..I dont know how to add it in SHFB ...Can u tell me the step by step to generate the CHM files....

Coordinator
Nov 1, 2009 at 8:13 PM

Read the topics in the Getting Started section of the help file specifically the walkthroughs: enabling XML comments  and creating your first project.

Eric