ResolveReferenceLinksComponent: Target unknown

Topics: Developer Forum
Feb 1, 2007 at 1:12 PM
Hello!

I (helpfile-builder newbie) use the current Sandcastle Help File Builder V1.3.3.1.

When I start building a HelpFile-Project for a ClassLibrary with the standard settings, all internal references (<see cref=""/> or <seealso cref=""/> can't be resolved.

Additional Info: This problem occured after I moved the Project to a new Directory, but there are no references to the old dir and I build the Project completely new...

Here some warnings in the LastBuild.log:

Warn: ResolveReferenceLinksComponent: The reference link target 'WINLineColadaLibrary' is unknown.
Warn: ResolveReferenceLinksComponent: The reference link target 'WINLineColadaLibrary.WINLineColada.StartWorkOnCRMJobTable' is unknown.
Warn: ResolveReferenceLinksComponent: The reference link target 'WINLineColadaLibrary.WINLineColada.TransferAllObjectsByType' is unknown.
Warn: ResolveReferenceLinksComponent: The reference link target 'WINLineColadaLibrary.WINLineColada.TransferAllObjectsByType' is unknown.
Warn: ResolveReferenceLinksComponent: The reference link target 'TransferPriceData' is unknown.
Warn: ResolveReferenceLinksComponent: The reference link target 'WINLineColadaLibrary.WINLineColada.TransferMappings' is unknown.
Warn: ResolveReferenceLinksComponent: The reference link target 'TransferSingleObject' is unknown.
Warn: ResolveReferenceLinksComponent: The reference link target 'TransferSingleObject' is unknown.
Warn: ResolveReferenceLinksComponent: The reference link target 'Main.WLColadaJob' is unknown.

Thank you for every hint!
Coordinator
Feb 1, 2007 at 3:03 PM
Perhaps you didn't include the WINLineColadaLibrary in the list of assemblies to be documented.

Eric
Feb 1, 2007 at 3:29 PM
The WINLineColadaLibrary ist in the list of assemblies (in fact it's the only Assembly in the list, I removed all ohters...)

I also build a new, empty Test-ClassLibrary and created a new Help-Project, added the TestClassLibrary.dll, TestClassLibrary.xml to the list of assemblies, marked all namespaces except "global":

<CODE>
''' <summary>
''' Eine zusammenfassung der Class1
''' </summary>
''' <remarks></remarks>
Public Class Class1

''' <summary>
''' Braucht auch <see cref="TestClassLibrary.Class1.Method2">Die Method2</see>
''' </summary>
''' <remarks></remarks>
Public Sub Method1()

End Sub

''' <summary>
''' mag die <see cref="TestClassLibrary.Class1.Method1">a liabe Method1</see>
''' </summary>
''' <remarks></remarks>
Public Sub Method2()

End Sub
End Class
</CODE>

And in the LastBuild.log the same problem occurs:

<LastBuildLog>
Info: BuildAssembler: Building topic N:TestClassLibrary
Info: BuildAssembler: Building topic T:TestClassLibrary.Class1
Warn: ResolveReferenceLinksComponent: The reference link target 'TestClassLibrary.Class1.Method2' is unknown.
Warn: ResolveReferenceLinksComponent: The reference link target 'TestClassLibrary.Class1.Method1' is unknown.
Info: BuildAssembler: Building topic M:TestClassLibrary.Class1.#ctor
</LastBuildLog>

Could there be a problem because I installed .NET 3.0 Framework? But in the MRefBuilder.config the 2.0 Version is listed correctly: <platform version="2.0" path="%SystemRoot%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\" />

Regards,
Tobias
Coordinator
Feb 1, 2007 at 5:26 PM
The .NET 2.0 framework is also used for documenting .NET 3.0 projects. It's the same but with a few extra assemblies. Your problem is most likely caused by the VB.NET compiler. If you check the XML comments file for the failing <see> tags, you will probably find that it isn't fully qualifying the member name (i.e. it's missing a prefix and/or namespace). For example instead of <see cref="P:MyNamespace.MyClass.MyProperty"/> it will be listed as <see cref="MyProperty"/> or <see cref="MyNamespace.MyClass.MyProperty"/>. To "fix" it, you have to specify the fully qualified name including the prefix and the namespace. Use "T:" for types, "M:" for methods, "P:" for properties, and "E:" for events.

Eric
Feb 2, 2007 at 7:01 AM
Great! This "fixed" the problem - now I have to change a lot of cref's... Thank you!

Tobias