BuildAssembler error

Topics: Developer Forum
Aug 17, 2009 at 7:23 PM

hi,

I am getting the following error when I ran SHFB. Any thoughts on what might be causing it.

Info: ResolveReferenceLinksComponent2: Searching directory 'C:\Program Files\EWSoftware\Sandcastle Help File Builder1800\Working' for targets files of the form 'reflection.xml'.

C:\Program Files\EWSoftware\Sandcastle Help File Builder1800\Working\BuildConceptualTopics.proj(27,5): error MSB6006: "BuildAssembler.exe" exited with code -1073741819.

Coordinator
Aug 17, 2009 at 9:23 PM

Your working folder, nor your project folder, should be in the SHFB installation folder.  Move them elsewhere.  You might want to reinstall to be sure it hasn't overwritten or deleted something.

Eric

Aug 18, 2009 at 6:20 AM

Uninstalling and reinstalling fixed this issue on my machine.

Aug 25, 2009 at 3:59 PM

The folder structure looks fine. Though uninstalling and reinstalling worked once, I keep getting the same error again. Something I get error on xslTransform.exe

Any other thoughts on this?

Coordinator
Aug 25, 2009 at 8:20 PM

You'll need to be more specific about the error you are getting with either BuildAssembler or XslTransform.  As I mentioned in the first reply, you shouldn't have your project folders pointing to the SHFB or Sandcastle install locations.  If you didn't change them, you've likely broke something again.

Eric

Aug 26, 2009 at 5:30 PM

Again same error after uninstalling and reinstalling sandcastle and SHFB

Note: Changed the working folder to C:\

When I run the SHFB tool, I get a pop up window with error message "MSBuild encountered an error and need to close. Sorry about the inconvenience". The app continues to run and finally I get the xsltransform.exe error shown below

Post-Transform Component. Copyright c 2006-2009, Eric Woodruff, All Rights Reserved
      http://SHFB.CodePlex.com
  Info: ResolveArtLinksComponent: Instantiating component.
  Info: ResolveArtLinksComponent: Indexed 35 art targets.
  Info: SharedContentComponent: Instantiating component.
  Info: SharedContentComponent: Searching for files that match 'C:\Program Files\Sandcastle\Presentation\Prototype\content\shared_content.xml'.
  Info: SharedContentComponent: Loading shared content file 'C:\Program Files\Sandcastle\Presentation\Prototype\content\shared_content.xml'.
  Info: SharedContentComponent: Found 1 files in C:\Program Files\Sandcastle\Presentation\Prototype\content\shared_content.xml.
  Info: SharedContentComponent: Searching for files that match 'C:\Program Files\Sandcastle\Presentation\Prototype\content\feedback_content.xml'.
  Info: SharedContentComponent: Found 0 files in C:\Program Files\Sandcastle\Presentation\Prototype\content\feedback_content.xml.
  Info: SharedContentComponent: Searching for files that match 'C:\Program Files\Sandcastle\Presentation\Prototype\content\conceptual_content.xml'.
  Info: SharedContentComponent: Loading shared content file 'C:\Program Files\Sandcastle\Presentation\Prototype\content\conceptual_content.xml'.
  Info: SharedContentComponent: Found 1 files in C:\Program Files\Sandcastle\Presentation\Prototype\content\conceptual_content.xml.
  Info: SharedContentComponent: Searching for files that match 'SharedBuilderContent.xml'.
  Info: SharedContentComponent: Loading shared content file 'C:\Working\SharedBuilderContent.xml'.
  Info: SharedContentComponent: Overriding shared content item 'producttitle' with value in file 'C:\Working\SharedBuilderContent.xml'.
  Info: SharedContentComponent: Overriding shared content item 'locale' with value in file 'C:\Working\SharedBuilderContent.xml'.
  Info: SharedContentComponent: Overriding shared content item 'copyright' with value in file 'C:\Working\SharedBuilderContent.xml'.
  Info: SharedContentComponent: Found 1 files in SharedBuilderContent.xml.
  Info: SharedContentComponent: Searching for files that match 'PresentationStyleBuilderContent.xml'.
  Info: SharedContentComponent: Loading shared content file 'C:\Working\PresentationStyleBuilderContent.xml'.
  Info: SharedContentComponent: Overriding shared content item 'header' with value in file 'C:\Working\PresentationStyleBuilderContent.xml'.
  Info: SharedContentComponent: Overriding shared content item 'footer' with value in file 'C:\Working\PresentationStyleBuilderContent.xml'.
  Info: SharedContentComponent: Found 1 files in PresentationStyleBuilderContent.xml.
  Info: SharedContentComponent: Loaded 75 shared content items.
  Info: ResolveConceptualLinksComponent: Instantiating component.
  Info: ResolveConceptualLinksComponent: Collected 1 targets directories.
  Info: ResolveReferenceLinksComponent2: Instantiating component.
  Info: ResolveReferenceLinksComponent2: Creating MSDN URL resolver.
  Info: ResolveReferenceLinksComponent2: Searching directory 'C:\Program Files\Sandcastle\Data\Reflection' for targets files of the form '*.xml'.
C:\Working\BuildConceptualTopics.proj(27,5): error MSB6006: "BuildAssembler.exe" exited with code -1073741819.
    Last step completed in 00:00:06.4220
</buildStep>
<buildStep step="Failed">

SHFB: Error BE0043: Unexpected error detected in last build step.  See output above for details.

</buildStep>
</shfbBuild>

Coordinator
Aug 26, 2009 at 8:45 PM

Your log snippet shows an error from BuildAssembler.  XslTransform is used prior to that and, if it's failing, you need to look further back in the log to find the actual cause of the problem.  If it is BuildAssembler that's the problem, see this thread as it may be related: http://shfb.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=66129.

Eric