SHFB/VS 2008 Deployment/source control

Topics: User Forum
Jul 6, 2009 at 10:59 PM

I'm using SHFB to document a C# library that I'm building with Visual Studio 2008 Pro. In my VS solution I have a deployment project that builds an MSI file containing my library. The VS solution and the SHFB project are all under source control (Perforce if it matters).

I want to add the CHM file that's the output of SHFB to the deployment. If SHFB was a project inside my VS solution, I'd just do "Add -> Project output..." in the deployment project. Since SHFB runs outside VS, I can't do that. Instead I add the CHM file via "Add -> File...". However, when I do that, VS wants to add the CHM file to source control. Since it's not a source file, I don't want that. Does anybody know a way to avoid this or work around it.

Thanks for any help, and thanks very much for Sandcastle and SHFB.

Jul 7, 2009 at 1:12 AM

Currently, I think the only way to add it is as a separate file.  You may be able to do that and then mark the file as excluded from source control.  I know you can do that via the File | Source Control menu when using Source Safe.  That way, it becomes part of the project but isn't under source control.

Jul 8, 2009 at 2:59 AM

Thanks for replying Eric.

I can't find any way of excluding a single file from Perforce source control (although I can unbind an entire project). Oh well, I'll just have to put up with it for now.

Thanks again,