More diagnostics of "Unable to load one or more of the requested types" is needed

Jun 15, 2009 at 6:58 PM

Hello.

I've created a SHFB-project but when I tried to run MSBuild on it I get an error, here's log file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<shfbBuild product="Sandcastle Help File Builder Utilities" version="1.8.0.2" projectFile="c:\xxxx\xxx.shfbproj" started="15.06.2009 22:47:51">
<buildStep step="Initializing">
Loading and initializing plug-ins...
    Last step completed in 00:00:00.0970
</buildStep>
<buildStep step="Failed">

SHFB: Error BE0065: BUILD FAILED: Unable to load one or more of the requested types. Retrieve the LoaderExceptions property for more information.

</buildStep>
</shfbBuild>

It'd be very nice to get more detailed message (look at LoaderExceptions property). I guess it's a ReflectionTypeLoadException.

If I start GUI and press Build I also get the same error:

SHFB: Error BE0065: BUILD FAILED: Unable to load one or more of the requested types. Retrieve the LoaderExceptions property for more information.

But! If I press "Build" one more time then I get no error and the building's starting.

Coordinator
Jun 15, 2009 at 7:12 PM

Check your plug-ins folder for an invalid or outdated plug-in assembly.  In the GUI, they only get loaded once so on subsequent builds, you won't see the loader error.  If the build isn't failing, the plug-in probably isn't used in the project.

Eric

Jun 15, 2009 at 7:34 PM

Thanks. The problem was with XsdDocumenter plugin. BTW it's not obvious where it's located.

Aug 18, 2009 at 11:22 PM

What did you end up doing with the XsdDocumenter plugin? I've been using it successfully on my machine, but we installed on another machine and are having trouble.

Katy

Coordinator
Aug 19, 2009 at 2:59 PM

I think the current version of the XsdDocumenter was built against a prior version of SHFB.  You may need to rebuild it (the plug-in) if using it with the latest release.

Eric

Sep 11, 2009 at 6:40 PM

A follow-up: It turns out the XsdDocumenter had been installed in the wrong location on the other machine, which was causing it to fail. Once the install location was corrected, everything worked correctly.

Katy