Warn: ShowMissingComponent: Missing <summary> documentation for...

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
May 28, 2009 at 2:15 PM

I'm getting several warnings in output log file about missing documentation tags that are actually present.  For example, here is a class with it's documentation comment:

[Serializable]
    /// <summary>
    /// EPS Business local service
    /// </summary>
    public class EPSBusinessService : GVR.EPSDriver.Service.BaseService, IEPSBusinessService, IFinancialService

{ ... }

Log file error is: "Warn: ShowMissingComponent: Missing <summary> documentation for N:GVR.EPSDriver.Service.EPSBusinessService".

As you can see the summary tag is present, parameters and returns tags.  I am using SHFB v1.8.0.1.

Stef

Coordinator
May 28, 2009 at 5:35 PM

The warning is for the namespace not the class (note the "N:" prefix on the ID rather than "T:").  You can suppress it by either setting the ShowMissingNamespaces project property to false or by supplying namespace comments using the NamespaceSummaries project property.

Eric

Jun 8, 2009 at 2:52 PM

Ok Eric. Now it works properly. Many thanks!!

Stefano

Jan 30, 2014 at 7:29 AM
Hi Eric,
I am using SHFB 2014.1.26. This generates the chm but with warnings
BuildAssembler : warning : ShowMissingComponent: [N:SampleLib] Missing <summary> documentation [E:\Working\Projects\Tesco\TFS\DocTest\Help\Working\BuildReferenceTopics.proj].

Infact none of the files it is generating the documentation for classes & methods.

Am I missing anything?

Regards
Mustafa Shaik
Coordinator
Jan 30, 2014 at 11:24 PM
Make sure you've enabled XML comments generation in your project (the one that builds the assembly) and that you've got the right build selected (Debug or Release) if using the standalone GUI. You may need to force a rebuild to create the XML comments file if it doesn't exist or is out of date. See the walkthrough topics in the Getting Started section of the SHFB help file for details.

Namespace comments are added using the Summaries category of project properties.

Eric