Interpreting the sand castle Warning ShowMissingComponent: [P: ] Missing <summary> documentation

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Nov 16, 2014 at 9:22 PM
I have been searching for documentation on how to interpret the Sand Castled documentation compilation and build log file but I couldn't find any.

For instance I have a few lines of warning from my compilation log, what does the prefix M, T, P, N and F alphabets means ?

Is there any other alphabets besides the ones that I have mentioned and what do they mean.
Warn: ShowMissingComponent: [__M__:...] Missing <summary> documentation
Warn: ShowMissingComponent: [__T__:...] Missing <summary> documentation
Warn: ShowMissingComponent: [__P__:...] Missing <summary> documentation
Warn: ShowMissingComponent: [__N__:...] Missing <summary> documentation
Warn: ShowMissingComponent: [__F__:...] Missing <summary> documentation
I am trying to do a count on what documentation is missing from my codes, but I notice the <summary> tag can be used for class level documentation as well as method level, so a missing <summary> warning dosent tell me at which level the documentation is missing.

I have written a script to parse through the Sand Castle compilation log that churns out the numbers of missing documentation

The summary tag missing documentation come up to a total of 13k missing documentation but I need a further break down of what type of summary is not documented. That is the reason why I need to know what is the meaning of the alphabet prefix in the sand castle log files.
 Remarks Documentation  26,765
 Returns Documentation  2,698
 Typeparam Documentation    58
 Summary Documentation  13,584
 Value Documentation    15,787
 Param Documentation    4,422
Total Missing   63,314
I have searched all over the sand castle documentation I couldnt find a section that teaches me how to interpret the log files.
Coordinator
Nov 17, 2014 at 5:04 PM
The prefix just identifies the type of member (a namespace, a type, a method, a property, etc.) and the remaining text identifies the fully qualified name of the member. For methods, parameter info is included. See the Member ID Strings topic in the XML comments guide for details. Using the name from the log it's a fairly simply matter to figure out the type and member in question and use that info to add the comments to your code.

Eric