Understanding ResolveReferenceLinksComponent warnings.

Topics: User Forum
Nov 13, 2014 at 12:58 AM
I've recently upgraded to the latest 14.5.31.0 build and now get a bunch of warnings about unknown reference link targets. The warnings seem to occur where methods in the library I'm documenting refer to types from a couple of 3rd-party assemblies. I don't want to include the documentation for those 3rd-party assemblies in my help file, do I can't add them as documentation sources. Not having them as documentation sources is likely the cause of these warnings. Adding them as references (either directly to the assembly path or to the assembly in the GAC) does not have any effect. So, is the proper thing to do in this situation to somehow disable the warnings for these references? I don't believe I want to turn off all warnings because it very handily catches all sorts of broken <link> href's as well as other useful warnings.

Thanks in advance.
Coordinator
Nov 13, 2014 at 3:39 PM
Those warnings can be ignored. If you want to suppress them and include comments on the member list pages for the base types in referenced assemblies, use the Additional Reference Links Plug-In which lets you supply the missing info.

Eric
Nov 13, 2014 at 4:08 PM
Thanks so much for the prompt reply Eric. I checked out that plug-in and it does seem useful for including 3rd-party content when I have the SHFB project for them, but I actually don't have that. The owner actually doesn't ship a help file for those components -- just XML IntelliSense files. So, there's really nothing to link to. I'm not super concerned about having help content anywhere for these particular items, so disabling the warnings is probably ok, unless I'm missing something I could use with that plug-in. For disabling, is it just one big Frankenstein switch for all warnings -- the BuildAssembly Verbosity on the Build property page? Or can it be done more selectively? I really like the normal validation done for broken links and such and would hate to turn it off -- easy enough to toggle on/off as needed, though, I suppose.
Coordinator
Nov 13, 2014 at 7:37 PM
No, it's not about creating a help file for the third party assembly. The SHFB project is used to define which assemblies and comments to include and the plug-in does a partial build on the third-party assemblies so that the reflection data can be included in the primary project (yours). You'd set the link type to None on the plug-in settings for the project so that it just suppresses all the warnings. The XML comments would get included to fill out the base member comments on the list pages.

Eric
Nov 14, 2014 at 8:05 PM
Sorry for my ignorance here -- not super familiar with how all the pieces fit together. But, I created a separate SHFB project, added to Documentation Sources the two assemblies that I reference in my main project, added the Additional Reference Link Plug-In and directed it to the newly created SHFB and set all the link types to None. I still get the same set of warnings in my main project. It also seems that I must build the other project first before the build of the main project will succeed.
Nov 14, 2014 at 9:49 PM
Correction, that actually did eliminate a bunch of warnings. I have so many that I didn't notice the reduction, but indeed all of the "Unknown reference link target" warnings that refer to the two external assemblies are gone. About half remain, however, and they are references to types that are part of the assembly being documented (in my main project), so I'll have to see what's up there.