HHC.exe: Тhere is not enough memory available for this task. Quit one or more programs to increase available memory, and then try again.

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Nov 10, 2014 at 8:05 AM
Hi,

I am attempting to build my documentation containing over 1000 conceptual topics and over 70000 API reference topics. However, lately I am getting the following error in HHC.exe:

hhc.exe Тhere is not enough memory available for this task. Quit one or more programs to increase available memory, and then try again. Here is log where the process ends:
 Warn: ResolveReferenceLinksComponent2: [T:ClassA] Unknown reference link target 'T:ClassB'.
  Info: Processed 96006 topic(s)
  Info: 12977 warning(s)
  Diagnostic: CopyFromIndexComponent: "reflection" in-memory cache entries used: 15 of 15.
  Diagnostic: CopyFromIndexComponent: "comments" in-memory cache entries used: 27 of 30.
    Last step completed in 01:00:53.3012
-------------------------------
Combining conceptual and API intermediate TOC files...

Clearing any prior web output
    Last step completed in 00:00:24.9750
Extracting HTML info for HTML Help 1 and/or website...
[C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\MSBuild.exe]
Sandcastle Help File Builder, version 1.9.7.0
Copyright c 2006-2013, Eric Woodruff, All Rights Reserved
E-Mail: Eric@EWoodruff.us

Using LCID '1033', code page '65001', encoding charset 'UTF-8'.

Processing Help 1 files in D:\Tmp\Working\Output\HtmlHelp1
Processed 97499 HTML files
Sorting keywords and generating See Also indices
Saving HTML Help 1 keyword index to D:\Tmp\Working\documentation.hhk
Saving HTML Help 1 table of contents to D:\Tmp\Working\documentation.hhc

Processing website files in D:\Tmp\Working\Output\Website
Processed 97499 HTML files
Sorting keywords and generating See Also indices
Saving website keyword index to D:\Tmp\Working\WebKI.xml
Saving website table of contents to D:\Tmp\Working\WebTOC.xml
    Last step completed in 00:09:08.9014
Generating HTML Help 1 table of contents file...
    Last step completed in 00:00:00.0010
Generating HTML Help 1 index file...
    Last step completed in 00:00:00.0005
Generating HTML Help 1 project file...
    Last step completed in 00:00:00.5189
Compiling HTML Help 1 file...
D:\Tmp\Working\Build1xHelpFile.proj(41,5): error MSB6006: "HHC.EXE" exited with code 0.
    Last step completed in 00:18:05.1710

SHFB: Error BE0043: Unexpected error detected in last build step.  See output above for details.
Coordinator
Nov 10, 2014 at 4:42 PM
Remember that the Help 1 compiler is a 32-bit process. You are most likely reaching the limits of its capabilities content-wise. The only real workarounds would be to split the help file up or switch to a different help file format if possible.

Eric
Nov 13, 2014 at 8:25 AM
Thank you for your input.

The interesting part is that with the VERY SAME sources, I am getting three different results on three different machines:
  1. On Machine 1 - SHFB 1.9.7, Win 8.1, Xeon 3-1225, 32GB RAM, 64 bit operating system, I am getting the aforementioned error - hhc.exe Тhere is not enough memory available for this task. Quit one or more programs to increase available memory, and then try again. Here is log where the process ends:
  2. On Machine 2 - SHFB 1.9.5, Pentium G620, 3 GB RAM, 64 bit Win 8.1 - I am able to build all four help definitions with API with no issues.
  3. On Machine 3 - SHFB 1.9.5, HyperV Virtual Machine, 3 GB RAM, Windows Server 2008 R2 64 bit, Xeon X5570, I am getting the following error:
Compiling HTML Help 1 file...
C:\Users\asd\Desktop\Tmp\Working\Build1xHelpFile.proj(41,5): error MSB6006: "HHC.EXE" exited with code -1073741819.
    Last step completed in 00:06:41.3767
</buildStep>
<buildStep step="Failed">
It is most important for me to execute successful builds on the last machine with SHFB 1.9.5 (can't currently upgrade).

I have read and the suggestions for the error on Machine 3 and these are to reinstall the HTML Help Workshop. However, on the machine in folder C:\Program Files (x86)\HTML Help Workshop, there are two files - hhc.exe (version 4.74.8702.0) and itcc.dll. There is not entry for HTML Help Workshop in Control Panel, hence I cannot uninstall it (and I could not find information how to properly uninstall it). So I downloaded the "latest" HTML Workshop from here (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=21138) and install it. During the installation I got a message that I already have newer version, still the installation seems to continue and at the end I get a message that the insulation is complete. Entry showed in Control Panel as well. However, I am still not able to build CHM due to the same error. I uninstalled the entry from control panel and reinstall it, still did not work.

Any suggestions how to remove the HTML workshop so I can make a fresh installation? Also, any ideas why I get different behavior on different machines?
Coordinator
Nov 13, 2014 at 3:35 PM
Sorry, I don't know.

Eric