Adding an Overview page to index.html file that is generated by SHFB

Aug 27, 2014 at 6:15 PM
I am upgrading from SHFB 1.9.4.0 to 2014.5.31.0.

I need to generate document that does not have a root namespace but has an 'Overview' page followed by 3 namespaces. For the 'Overview' page, I add a default.html file to the project with BuildAction:Content. After building the project I open the index.html file and all I see is the contents of default.html. I cannot see any namespaces. The older release didn't have this issue.

.chm file is correctly generated in new version. I tried converting the default.html to MAML using the converter and added it to the project with BuildAction: None, and still do not see the the 'Overview' page.

Am I getting any project settings wrong?
Coordinator
Aug 27, 2014 at 6:21 PM
Edited Aug 27, 2014 at 6:22 PM
If you are using the VS2013 style with website output, HTML content pages are not supported as the presentation style has to insert the TOC elements in each page and it can't do that on a custom HTML page. Add a content layout file and a conceptual topic (MAML) to serve as the overview page. The old HTML additional content support has been deprecated for a long time and the new presentation styles will not support it. They are only guaranteed to work with conceptual content.

If you are new to conceptual content, see the Conceptual Content topics in the help file to get started.

Eric
Aug 27, 2014 at 7:53 PM
Excellent, I was missing the content layout file. I am currently going through the link you mentioned.

Thank you again,
Harsheel