Script file as documentation source and want to compile the script file with .mshc format

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Jul 1, 2014 at 12:17 PM
Hi,

Here is our requirement.

We want to compile javascript files (.js) to generate class reference contents with .mshc format (MSHelpviewer format). For that i have created a empty project and try to add the .js files as documentation source, it wont listed in add dialog. It accepts only project files , solution files, assemblies and exe. After changing it to all files types able to add the .js file as documentation source, during the compilation got the below error.

BE0042: You must specify at least one documentation source in the form

Note: We dont have project file or solution file to add and we want to add only the .js files as documentation source. So i have used 'Additional contents only' plugin , but it wont help to make the project compilable ?

Can you provide steps for how to compile and generate the .mshc files for a project in which only the javascript files are added as documentation source ?

Regards,
Sivaguru S
Coordinator
Jul 1, 2014 at 7:28 PM
You're not trying to compile JavaScript, you're trying to document it. In that case, you'll need to use the AjaxDoc plug-in since the Sandcastle tools cannot parse JavaScript. The AjaxDoc plug-in runs in the place of MRefBuilder and generates the necessary reflection data file and XML comments file.

Eric
Jul 2, 2014 at 2:33 PM
As per the suggestion, i have used the AjaxDoc plug-in . But i have faced the compilation issue. Please refer the stack trace details below

SHFB: Error BE0029: Unexpected error while executing plug-in 'AjaxDoc Builder': SandcastleBuilder.Utils.BuilderException: Unable to produce comments file and/or reflection file
at SandcastleBuilder.PlugIns.AjaxDocPlugIn.Execute(ExecutionContext context)
at SandcastleBuilder.Utils.BuildEngine.BuildProcess.ExecutePlugIns(ExecutionBehaviors behavior)
at SandcastleBuilder.Utils.BuildEngine.BuildProcess.ExecutePlugIns(ExecutionBehaviors behavior)
at SandcastleBuilder.Utils.BuildEngine.BuildProcess.Build()
Unable to produce comments file and/or reflection file
at SandcastleBuilder.PlugIns.AjaxDocPlugIn.Execute(ExecutionContext context)

For this error, i have referred the below link. But it wont help

https://shfb.codeplex.com/discussions/63001

Regards,
Sivaguru
Coordinator
Jul 2, 2014 at 5:13 PM
I don't use AjaxDoc so I cannot provide support for it. The best I can suggest is that you try getting it to run in a browser outside of SHFB first. If you can get it running there you should be able to configure the plug-in and get it to run in the build.

Eric
Jul 3, 2014 at 1:38 PM
Hi,

Regarding this "The best I can suggest is that you try getting it to run in a browser outside of SHFB first" , can you share more details on how to run in a browser ?

Our requirement is to generate class reference documentation for Javascript files in .mshc format , for that please share the help link for how to generate it ?

Regards,
Sivaguru S
Coordinator
Jul 3, 2014 at 3:55 PM
Sorry, but like I said, I don't use AjaxDoc. See it's project website for help on getting it running: http://AjaxDoc.CodePlex.com

Eric