Customise VS2013 template to remove generation of "XYZ Methods" type pages?

Topics: Developer Forum
Jun 27, 2014 at 4:37 PM
How can I disable generation of grouping pages like "XYZ Methods"?

I am entirely happy with just providing the "Foo Class" listing instead. Can this be tweaked using XSL? or does this require changes elsewhere?

Many thanks!
Jun 27, 2014 at 7:19 PM
Whether or not those pages are generated is dependent on the document model transformation used by the presentation style (ApplyPrototypeDocModel.xsl or ApplyVSDocModel.xsl). I haven't tried changing the document model transform on the presentation styles so it may introduce other issues in the presentation style transformations themselves though I'm not sure. All of the latest presentation styles are modeled after the MSDN content which includes the group topics.

Presentation styles are treated as MEF components now so you can clone a presentation style and as long as it can be found by SHFB, it will be available for use. If you installed the Visual Studio package, there is a presentation style component project template that you can use to get started. That will allow you to try out such changes without breaking the standard presentation styles and you wouldn't have to update them with each release. See the Creating a Presentation Style Component topic for details.

Jun 28, 2014 at 2:50 PM
Thanks, I am looking into this :)
Jun 28, 2014 at 5:34 PM
This seems to work perfectly for my needs!

Thanks again :D
Jun 30, 2014 at 5:30 PM
Actually I did encounter some issues within my customization of the VS2013 presentation. So I thought I would post my findings in case anybody else is interested in this topic in the future.

When using the prototype documentation model I found that data was missing in various places, for instance, enumerations lost their member names.

So, instead of using the 'ApplyPrototypeDocModel.xsl' stylesheet I created a copy of the 'ApplyVSDocModel.xsl' stylesheet and removed the unwanted topics and presto! I have added this into my own presentation DLL making it easier to maintain.