MAML editing and compiling to local windows help files?

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Jun 25, 2014 at 4:45 AM
I would like to add content to the local help and support on windows 7. It is possible to edit MAML to do this in Sandcastle? After doing some research the basic XML schema example files seem to be in the AIK. I wish to automate the process of adding the content to local help if sandcastle can at least compile help files with MAML or Assistance Markup Language in them.
Coordinator
Jun 25, 2014 at 3:07 PM
SHFB uses MAML for conceptual content topics. The presentation styles will convert MAML to HTML. From there they can be compiled into a Help 1 file, a Help 2 file, an MS Help Viewer file, or output as a website. I'm not familiar with how Windows 7 stores its local help files or what format they use. SHFB could probably be extended to create them if that info is available.

Eric
Jul 7, 2014 at 6:25 PM
Edited Jul 7, 2014 at 6:26 PM
For more information if you are interested in pursuing that option I found this: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd744254(v=WS.10).aspx. Note: the apcompnt.exe is not installed on 64-bit machines by default. You might be able to get away with copying the files to a 64-bit machine though from a 32-bit and include this feature in a future release with some planning.